The Most You've Paid For a Bearded Dragon Poll - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you weren't aware, there is a section of this forum full of polls. So if you haven't yet voted in them, go stop by there first! :D

They are all pretty old, but that's what is interesting to me. Seeing what people used to say a decade+ ago.

Lets take for instance the poll on most you've paid for a bearded dragon, found here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=91437
31715-2561550695.jpg

Back then, the majority of people stated they hadn't paid more than $80 dollars for their dragon.

I find this a shocking statistic, especially in todays day and age of dragons and breeders.
You can see even I voted back then, and I had never bought a dragon over $150. That's far from the case now though..

So what does that say to you about the hobby as a whole now? What does it say to you about the hobby back in 2008?

-Brandon

Emerald14

Great question! —I’m a first time bearded dragon owner and really wanted a dragon from a responsible breeder. My little girl was $150. She’s a black and reddish orange stripped leatherback.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The higher the price , the more likely people who know nothing about their husbandry and needs will be put off endulging in an impulse buy and the more likely the buyer will take good care if it.

I only ever buy from legitimate breeders, going price for a central bearded or a rankins hatchling here is about $100.
Some rare morphs attract more $ .

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Interesting thought. I can see your point. when I first got into the hobby dragons were 50 or so bucks. Everyone was getting them. And maybe that was a problem with them being so cheap.

I thought I was splurging a decade ago when I bought a dragon for 179$ i think it was.

Now, youd be hard pressed to find a breeder who would sell you a dragon for less than 100 bucks. Shipping alone is usually 50+ bucks.

I didnt think of it that way, but I can see the benefit to dragons costing more as time has gone on. Of course chain stores are still selling them at low prices, but i think a lot of people now also know that their health is questionable, and they are better off buying from a breeder. And when you need to spend more, typically you put more effort into your research.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
In a way my Devlyn was free. I paid $250 to get her, the 4'x1.5'x1.5' wood enclosure with front doors, 2 ceramic light sockets, UVB mount with reflector, about 5 mixed heat bulbs, 3 T5 Arcadia 12% bulbs, a dubia roach colony in a container, calcium and vitamin supplements, a table for everything to sit on, enclosure decorations, and some other misc stuff.

I know which pet store she was first bought at and they were charging $50 for baby dragons when she was bought because they were going out of business. Originally $75 before discounts if I remember right...they are closed now of course. This pet store I am sure was one of the problem locations that didn't do animals Justice and bought animals cheap to sell them cheap. I called them to ask if they knew who their bearded dragon breeder was and all they would tell me is "We buy wholesale" :(

When I got Cooper back in 2011, she came from a box pet store and was somewhere in the neighborhood of $50.

Smaug was a $100 investment but he was already on his 3rd owner when I became his 4th.

Marline was a Petco purchase, 6 weeks ago and I believe she tipped the scales at right shy of $100 (we bought some other things along with her choosing Lana to take her home!).

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yeah, when I got Peaches I gave 75.00 for her in the summer of 2016, Charlie (Mr Attitude ) was purchased for 69.00 at Pet Food Center on Dec. 1st 2018. I just bought Angel last week for 100.00 tank and all.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":3u4x2ivd said:
Yeah, when I got Peaches I gave 75.00 for her in the summer of 2016, Charlie (Mr Attitude ) was purchased for 69.00 at Pet Food Center on Dec. 1st 2018. I just bought Angel last week for 100.00 tank and all.
So you got the dragon for nix.

I think this is not a good situation as it makes it way to easy and cheap for noobs and people who are totally clueless to buy a reptile who will suffer and likely not survive long entirely due to neglect , poor husbandry and very bad advice given by the no-nothing pet shop staff who's only interests maximum sales & maximum commission .

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
When I purchased me first and only dragon to date, she was only $30 (October 22, 2018) at a local breeder. Her tank and everything else added up though, with a total cost (including the baby beardy) of around $200. I more recently dropped another $300 on building a new tank... and have spent $140 on 60-100W bulbs in 14 months because they keep burning out in a 150W fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom