He is extremely active at night, is it from the lights?

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

He is extremely active at night, is it from the lights?

Postby Palealienos » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:27 am

My bearded dragon, Vincent, is about 3 years old. I’ve been using a ceramic bulb for night time but next to his terrarium is my crested gecko(Houdini) tank. I’ve placed a divider between them to shield each other, I was too afraid of Vincent scaring the tail off of Houdini. For night time I use a 50w night red halogen bulb for Houdini, is Vincent detecting the light and wanting to run towards it to bask? If so, how do I make him understand where his basking spot is? He’s been sleeping all day and is very active at night but it is winter time so I thought it was just him getting ready for brumation at first
Palealienos
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: He is extremely active at night, is it from the lights?

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:26 am

I would say the red light is keeping him up -- can you move Houdini? I would ---
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby Gormagon » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:06 am

They like it dark and cool (70 to 80 degrees) so your heat emitter my be a problem as well. You can cover his view with a dark towel or something like that.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby Palealienos » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:31 am

I’m going to move Houdini to the other side of the room, there’s a wall that will block Vincent’s view from all the light, I’ll update tomorrow thanks everyone!
Palealienos
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures