Tips for Finding Vacation Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I’ll be going away for a few days around Christmas, and will need to find care for Figment for those days. How do you folks find care for your dragons when you need to go away? I’m thinking of calling the vet I plan to use for Figment and seeing if they can board him, as we don’t have any local friends who can look in on him while we’re gone; I could also bring him to my sister-in-law’s house, but as the family has zero experience with reptiles, I’m wondering if the vet might be a better option.

What do you suggest?

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
We have a neighborhood blog where I advertised the need for someone to look after mine. I didn't expect any responses or the "eww lizard" kind of thing, but was pleasantly surprised. I ended up training up two people to properly look after them, one teen and another person in college, and it's been great. They both love my little guys and take great care of them. I leave (probably too-detailed) notes each time just to remind them and get free house-sitting in the bargain. So far, no drug-fuelled raves, so all good! :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I check in on Darwin via webcam and have a friend with a house key who stops in every couple of days to check on him and change his food, clean up as needed, play with him, etc. That setup works well when I can't bring him along on a trip.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for sharing! I wish we had a neighborhood blog or Facebook group, but we don't... so after calling the vet (they said they THINK they do board reptiles, but need to check with the medical manager and get back to me today) I applied to two fellow teachers who own exotics, and one of them has a pair of teenage boys that look after her critters when she's away, so that's hopefully going to be an option, too. Since Figment is under a year old, he needs to be fed every day, so I can't just have someone pop in once and check on him, or I'd ask my sister-in-law to do so. She did offer to have me bring him and his full setup down to their house, and I'm sure her boys would love it, but I'd really rather have someone come in if possible so I don't need to break down his hab and move the whole thing... lazy me!

Anyhoo, thanks for sharing your experiences!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom