Beardie broken toe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jowat

Hello everyone,

Has someone have experience with broken toes?
My Lizzie broke her toe a week ago. She doesnt seem bothered about at all, still running around, digging, but unfortunately it's not looking good.
I went to the vets and they estimated £400 for the surgery to remove the toe. I still did not book the surgery, because it just seems a lot of money. :( I thought I will seek a second opinion.
Have any of you experienced something familiar. Any advice would be great.
Thank you.
Jo

106784-1983760163.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like a pretty bad break. I think the big concern is that it would become infected which could pose a serious risk. It may or may not cause her discomfort or mobility issues but if it gets infected it will become a very serious situation and will need quick care.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think a visit to the nearest reptile vet is in order to have the toe seen to ( outcome depends on type of break , compound, clean or perhaps even a dislocation ).
Get a second opinion. If it's infected and not a compound fracture, should be very easy for a vet to reset it ( under a very quick general ).
Did they take and provide you with xrays ?

The hand / forearm seems quite swollen in that picture - that's a bad sign ==> infection is setting in.

Better safe than sorry later, I'd deal with it while it's fresh rather than waiting even a few days as it will be relatively easy for a vet deal with fresh , but is likely to become a major drama and expensive treatment if it comes infected or causes a systemic infection . You a likely to be looking at a lot more if / when gangrene sets in or a systemic infection and a full limb amputation becomes necessary or a long cause of antibiotics are needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom