Aspiration / RI question, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jthmdepp

My 10 year old beardie had a rough night last night. After her lights went out and she curled up to sleep, she started gaping and opening her mouth a lot, and sit very upright with her nose pointed upwards. She was very sleepy, but anytime she tried to lay back down flat to sleep, she would have to get back upright and open her mouth back up. Today during the day she seems to be doing okay, she drank and ate fine but is occasionally swallowing thought the day for no apparent reason.

I'm suspecting respiratory infection or a possible aspiration from her bath the other day. I've PM'd Tracie for medical advice but I have a general question to throw out there. Tonight I'm gonna bump her temp up to 80 F and I want to position her better so she can rest a little more comfortably. I know for aspiration you should position them with their head lower than vent/tail so any fluid in the lungs can drain. Is this the same for if it's possibly a respiratory infection too?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you didn't see her aspirate any liquid then another possibility may be that something is stuck in or irritating her throat or mouth. If you look into her mouth do you see anything out of the ordinary that may be causing distress?

jthmdepp

Original Poster
Nothing out of the ordinary or stuck, she seems to have more thick saliva than usual, no discoloration to it though

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd probably just keep the temps up overnight for a little while and watch her for signs of lethargic behavior or any changes to her mouth or throat (redness, growths, wounds, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom