I need an air freshener!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteHart

This morning my little one and I moved to a new place. The other people who live here have cats. Ive been keeping my door shut in the hopes that they and by bearded dragon never (or rarely) see each other. But on another note, my room smells like cat and I can’t stand it. I need some sort of clean scent in here but I don’t know what is or isn’t safe for my bearded dragon. I will say I never use any sort of aerosol air fresheners. I choke on them.

Any advice is appropriated!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bad idea using aerosol style {"smell coverupper / um air freshener" around a pet reptile. Many of these contain materials that are toxic to reptiles.

Everything the cats have been on or near needs to be thoroughly cleaned , then you might be able to get rid of the cat stink. IMO this should be at the landlord's expense not yourself as the premises are not fit for human occupation if cats have been there ( and no one has bothered keeping the place clean ).

Re cats, good luck keeping them out of your room/s ( as they have obviously had free range and regard the area as their territory ) so you will have a hard job keeping them away from your dragon (in a any physical manner that wont upset their owners , so , they are a clear and present danger to your dragon and will be next to impossible to keep away from it , especially if their owners think they are harmless and wont harm it.

My advise is move somewhere that's cat free.

beckys19

I know it's a bit of an investment, but maybe an air purifier? Amazon has several that are well rated, and made for pets.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
To keep the cats out just get a spray bottle and, spray them when they try to come in the door. A few times doing this and, they will get the message.
If you have carpet in the room, rent a rug doctor and, add a box of Arm and Hammer baking soda to the mix it is a great odor neutralizer.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I recommend an air purifier. We bought one from Costco a few months ago and loved it so much we bought two more for other areas in the house.

The model I got has one of the filtration stages as an activated charcoal filter which removes most bad odors. Not to mention, an air purifier will get rid of any cat dander or allergens that might be present.

It's either that or some deep cleaning. Try baking soda in the carpet and let it sit for an hour or so then vacuum it up.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
It wont just be carpets and seats of lounge and mattress and pillows and soft furnishings that will the impregnated with car stink, if there's a tom cat in the mix, it'll be every surface in reach of it's "spurts" - only way to get rid of that is to repaint the walls and get every stick of furniture professionally cleaned & sanitized or replaced.

I'd be hitting up the landlord for the costs involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom