Upgraded to 40 gal and need help with the lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I upgraded my Juvenile girl’s tank to a 40 gallon 2 days ago. I got a 100 watt lugarti MVB3 mercury vapor bulb for the basking light and then a reptisun T5 10.0 uvb bulb. Basking temp would not go above 95F and the hot side was 80F, cold side 75F. She would not bask and kept hiding under her hammock.

I read on here somewhere that UVB in the basking area can hurt their eyes (i hope i read right). So i put the 75w basking lamp i used in her 20 gal tank next to the mercury vapor bulb lamp. Now basking temp is 101.8F, hot side is 90F and cool side is 80F. I put her in the basking spot and now she’s hanging out.

My question is, can i get away with this light setup? Or is this just a temporary fix. I see some folks have more than one basking light. Help please! I am still a first time dragon mom.

full

full

One thing I can see, and personally speak apon is the UVB placement. You're going to want to mount that UVB might inside the enclosure. Use some 3M Command Strips. As for temps, I, personally would be happy with the 102, 90, 80.

hellabombskies

Original Poster
JohnVLillywhite":39n7b1nq said:
One thing I can see, and personally speak apon is the UVB placement. You're going to want to mount that UVB might inside the enclosure. Use some 3M Command Strips. As for temps, I, personally would be happy with the 102, 90, 80.

How do i mount this to the top of the screen from underneath if its a slide top? Dumb it down for me please!!

hellabombskies":lyekheub said:
JohnVLillywhite":lyekheub said:

How do i mount this to the top of the screen from underneath if its a slide top? Dumb it down for me please!!
Use 3M Command Strips and mount it to the back wall like I have done here. Make sure to remove the plastic cover, and ensure the light is pointing out.
106596-7510086084.jpg
106596-1241209316.jpg

hellabombskies

Original Poster
JohnVLillywhite":1plb3ylv said:
hellabombskies":1plb3ylv said:
JohnVLillywhite":1plb3ylv said:

Use 3M Command Strips and mount it to the back wall like I have done here. Make sure to remove the plastic cover, and ensure the light is pointing out.
106596-7510086084.jpg
106596-1241209316.jpg

I can mount it sideways like that and my girl will still get what she needs? Also, does a reptisun T10 have to be mounted? I read elsewhere that T10 was strong enough to go on top of the screen. Is that incorrect then?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The t5 HO 10.0 is stronger than the t8 version.

The proper distance for the T5 HO 10.0 is 12-15 inches from the basking spot unobstructed (meaning no screen blocking it)
OR
8-10 inches from the basking site if it's ontop of a screen.

Most screens cut output by around 30% So simply taking 30% from the unobstructed measurement gives you the obstructed measurement.

-Brandon

hellabombskies

Original Poster
claudiusx":1j69suwn said:
The t5 HO 10.0 is stronger than the t8 version.

The proper distance for the T5 HO 10.0 is 12-15 inches from the basking spot unobstructed (meaning no screen blocking it)
OR
8-10 inches from the basking site if it's ontop of a screen.

Most screens cut output by around 30% So simply taking 30% from the unobstructed measurement gives you the obstructed measurement.

-Brandon

Sorry it’s the T5 10.0 i knew i was putting it wrong. Lol. Okay so I have it exactly 8 inches from the basking spot, so that part should be okay? My worry about mounting it, is that she will mess with it in there, and i have lots of stuff for her to climb so there is no avoiding it.I honestly don’t think she likes this mercury vapor bulb. I keep finding her hiding under her basking spot. I turned it off as a test and just left the 75 watt bulb on and she went right to her basking spot.

hellabombskies

Original Poster
Is a mercury vapor bulb really necessary? I am thinking about switching to a regular 125w basking bulb and ditching the mercury vapor one

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If your T5 is ontop of the screen at 8 inches, it's doing the exact same thing that it would be doing at 12-15 inches away inside the tank. So you're good.

And no you don't need to use an MVB also.

-Brandon

hellabombskies

Original Poster
So i switched for just a plain 100 basking bulb. UVB is reptisun T5HO 10.0 and its 9 inches from basking spot (it sits on top of the screen).

So my issue is the basking spot is a toasty 102-105 ...the hot side is about 82-85 and the cool side is 76-78. Are the hot and cold sides too low? What's the range they can be in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom