Lazy Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I be concerned if my beardie is being a little bit more lazy than usual? I assume its because he is about to shed, I can see the skin on his back and arms dulling. He's still eating like usual. About 10 dubias, 10 mealworms and 20 phoenix worms a day. He eats a few pieces of kale also. The only reason I'm asking is because he kinda just stays on his basking spot most of the day, sometimes he has his head down like he's tired. He's about 9-10 months old.

Setup: 40 gallon
Basking spot is 100°F
Reptisun 10.0 T8 fluorescent tube, 8 inches away from basking spot
Humidity is 40%-50%

If this is normal behavior with others, please let me know! Any help is reassuring!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would lay off the meal worms and add more salad-- he still needs the protein of course but he needs more salad - a variety of worms w/ the salad is good --- like a few supers or BSFL are a great staple on top of the salad --- here is a nutrition website --- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
as far as being lazy 9-10 month old could be the weather slowing him down as long as hes basking eating and pooping he should be good - what does his poop look like? runny ? urate dry? It should be formed dark and moist - urate should be formed and moist not dry and chalky looking
Karrie

ChrisKim1010047

Original Poster
He just pooped, his poop was solid, not runny at all, the urste was squishy and white.

I leave kale in his bowl everyday and he eats it on his own accord. He has no trouble digesting the mealworms either. I've tried collard greens, but he doesn't seem to care for those. Kale seems to be the only thing he'll eat on his own, and I don't wanna force feed him.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi,

His diet sounds fine :) They do get a bit lazy or annoyed when they shed. Also, this time of year a lot of dragons in the states slow down a bit, even if they don't go through a full or true brumation. One of my dragons has been just lying down flat on the ground all day long for the past week or 2. But she is perfectly fine. Another of mine went through that but last month and she's already snapped back out of it.

If your husbandry is fine, and your dragon isn't losing weight, usually you have nothing to worry about :)

-Brandon

ChrisKim1010047

Original Poster
Well that's reassuring. Believe me Karrie, I am trying to get him to eat his salads, but he notoriously picky. Thank you guys for your input. Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom