Beardie is shaking, not eating, and sleeping all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralf787

I just recently bought my beardie from a pet shop and last night he ate a couple crickets that were gut loaded with calcium food (my calcium powder just arrived today). But now today he hasn’t eaten all day and is always sleeping and barely moving. Seems scared when I try to pick him up at times and tries to run away other times he just stays put and let’s me pick him up. I’ve also caught him shaking his head in a vibrating motion and tends to have one eye closed. I’ve given him a bath with Luke warm water to see if that would wake him up but nothings changed. I’m using reptisun 10.0 fluorescent light 24” (8-9” from ground) 100 watt exoterra heat lamp. I have him on a bioactive substrate with 70-75° on cool side and 90-115°On basking platforms and 40 gallon tank, Multiple places to hide and live plants to snack on. Everything was bought through bio dude except for some rocks i sanitized through boiling and baking. He’s about 6” in length with tail. His poop looks normal I haven’t seen any yellow spots or anything unusual. He seems uninterested to eat and pushes the food away. Tried feeding him greens, worms, and crickets.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

How long has he been in your care?
How old is he?

Would you be able to post up a picture of him so we can see his general state?

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
10.0 fluorescent light 24” --- I am assuming that is a T 5 ? Is it on top of screen or inside the tank? If its inside the tank its too close - it should be 12-15 inches from basking spot-- if its on top of screen it should be 6-8 inches from basking spot--
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sitting on top? Meaning it's outside of tank? T8's need to be inside approx 6-8 inches from basking spot- the screen is blocking 30% if those Ray's
Karrie

Ralf787

Original Poster
that’s what I thought too so I placed it inside for the majority of the day today and as I’m trying to feed him right now he has eaten 1 worm and is looking for a way to leave or shows little interest in the food. I tried small super worms , mealworms, and crickets again covered in calcium powder.

Ralf787

Original Poster
I think I just saw something on one of his eyes. Looks like a thick layer is transparent goo over his right eye.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you post a pic of it so Brandon or Tracie or ahbd can see
Karrie

Ralf787

Original Poster
I’m at work now but it’s kind of like a transparent gel like substance over his eye. Looks like it bothers him because he keeps that eye closed the majority of the time. I’ll try to take a picture in the morning and post it for you guys if it’s still there. But what could be the issue for all these symptoms? At first I thought maybe he was just scared or stressed to be in a new home but he seemed good yesterday after I let him sit under the heat for a an hour or so. He was eating and licking things, moving around the enclosure.. just being curious and adventurous. But this morning he just stayed in one place the majority of the time so I moved him to the heat after an hour or so so that he can get ready for his meal but nothing and has been like that all day. He movies occasionally to go inside the holes and caves I have for him. Caught him digging a few times and just laid there for a long while.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ralf787":3k1mj270 said:
I’m at work now but it’s kind of like a transparent gel like substance over his eye. Looks like it bothers him because he keeps that eye closed the majority of the time. I’ll try to take a picture in the morning and post it for you guys if it’s still there. But what could be the issue for all these symptoms? At first I thought maybe he was just scared or stressed to be in a new home but he seemed good yesterday after I let him sit under the heat for a an hour or so. He was eating and licking things, moving around the enclosure.. just being curious and adventurous. But this morning he just stayed in one place the majority of the time so I moved him to the heat after an hour or so so that he can get ready for his meal but nothing and has been like that all day. He movies occasionally to go inside the holes and caves I have for him. Caught him digging a few times and just laid there for a long while.

Digging in what ?

I think you need to get him to a reptile vet pronto , for a dragon to crash so fast is a very bad sign and indicates he is already critically ill.

Is there any chance he's ingested something toxic ( ie a insect that has been sprayed with insecticide or been in contact with a surface spray or eaten an insect bait) , or perhaps a firefly ?
If so he's an emergency case for the vet.

Ralf787

Original Poster
I haven’t seen him eat anything unusual. He hasnt been in contact with anything else besides what I’ve fed him unless from my knowledge. He’s in a bioactive substrate so he was digging into the dirt. (Soil and such was bought through the bio dude)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom