Is He dehydrated? And other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyndsayc

Hi Im new to this page and]also became a bearded dragon owner for the 1st time a year ago I’m just looking for advice, would u say my dragon looks dehydrated/eyes sunken ,I’ve never seen him drinking I did weigh him the other day and he was 396grams roughly 19.5”do u think is that a healthy weight? I’ve attached some pics. 3rd question when he’s out his viv he sleeps against the wall like this is this normal? Sorry for the 3 questions in 1 just glad I’ve found somewhere to ask for advice and stuff lol.

106753-5731957159.jpg

106753-2629457233.jpg

106753-1183718187.jpg

106753-8988925130.jpg

106753-3811273486.jpg

Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He looks thin and possibly dehydrated --- please put him in a warm bath see if he will drink from the bath --- you can also give him water by syringe or mist him see if he will drink water off his nose--- are you feeding a salad -- every day? http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html-- here is a website for that--- hes on sand I would please get rid of it-- replace w/ either textured non adhesive shelf liner or paper towels no loose substrate -- it causes impaction or can cause impaction --- even reptile carpet is better than sand --- please give us a run down on your tank lighting basking temps -- etc and how your taking temps w/ a infrared heat gun or stick ons or digital probe?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

You cant really try hydration levels from a picture. Unless the picture is that of his urates. How do his urates look? Unless they are coming out hard and chalky, he most likely has adequate hydration. Soft and white urates are what you want to see.

And at nearly 400g, I wouldnt say hes skinny. Hes quite a big boy actually :) just like humans, they can hold weight in different areas. Some dragons look like fat balloons at 400g, and others like like snakes lol. Your dragon is a good weight, especially for his length. :)

-Brandon

Lyndsayc

Original Poster
KarrieRee":188njugj said:
He looks thin and possibly dehydrated --- please put him in a warm bath see if he will drink from the bath --- you can also give him water by syringe or mist him see if he will drink water off his nose--- are you feeding a salad -- every day? http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html-- here is a website for that--- hes on sand I would please get rid of it-- replace w/ either textured non adhesive shelf liner or paper towels no loose substrate -- it causes impaction or can cause impaction --- even reptile carpet is better than sand --- please give us a run down on your tank lighting basking temps -- etc and how your taking temps w/ a infrared heat gun or stick ons or digital probe?
Karrie

He doesn’t drink from the bath either and I’ve tried putting some on the tip of his nose to see if he’ll drink but just stares at me like I’m mad.. I assumed sand and other textures would be best because of there natural habitat would be sand ? Half is sand and half is a bark of some sort out of the pet shop that said it was suitable for bear does .. Also before we got him google did play a part in convincing me that lol .. I have a circle thermometer that usually sits in the green area when we bought him we were told that is how it should be i can add a photo later I’m not in the now, I’ve attached a photo of his tank I’m currently waiting on a new larger piece of wood to come that he will be able to sit higher up I know the photo looks like everything is level .. he also gets fed locus/mealworms a few a day ( he’s fussy with his bugs ) and salad and fruit also.

106753-5594645031.jpg

Lyndsayc

Original Poster
claudiusx":2c8kgzyp said:
Hi there,

You cant really try hydration levels from a picture. Unless the picture is that of his urates. How do his urates look? Unless they are coming out hard and chalky, he most likely has adequate hydration. Soft and white urates are what you want to see.

And at nearly 400g, I wouldnt say hes skinny. Hes quite a big boy actually :) just like humans, they can hold weight in different areas. Some dragons look like fat balloons at 400g, and others like like snakes lol. Your dragon is a good weight, especially for his length. :)

-Brandon

They’re usually gooey with a white part in them.. I’ll take a picture next time and post it.. if he’s relaxed he looks like he’s really healthy then other times he looks so skinny I’m first time Beardie owner we got him December 2018 so I’m still learning and there isn’t really a lot of places near me that you can call for advice until I found this website.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You have 2 substrates in the tank that are not recommended - both impaction--- issues and the bark is really not good as he could injest a piece causing internal injuries- you need to get a digital probe or and infrared heat gun for accurate basking temps -- poop should be formed dark and moist same w/ the urate
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well I'm glad you found this website :)
We are here to help.

400g is a good size. A lot of big dragons you see are in fact over weight. So I wouldnt worry about it as long as he is acting healthy and your husbandry is up to par, you'll have a happy dragon.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom