My bearded dragon has red bloody lips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacks5706

106752-296047233.jpg
I recently got a bearded dragon awhile ago and he started getting these scabs On his mouth.. what could they be? I’ve been putting organic honey but any input? How do I upload pictures?
106752-3348630779.jpg

MAD37

When you write a post you can attache picture by clicking on XIMG and upload them, well that's how I did it, sorry If I'm wrong I'm new to all this.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
At top of page in the banner click on user image upload and then click on XIMG at top of message box click on pic and it should post --- have you seen any difference in the lips using the honey
Karrie

Jacks5706

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2qldosv1 said:
At top of page in the banner click on user image upload and then click on XIMG at top of message box click on pic and it should post --- have you seen any difference in the lips using the honey
Karrie
i found it! i started using the honey two days ago so im stll wanting to see a difference

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Has it effected his eating or drinking? What is in the tank that he could be chewing on -- anything sharp like fake plants etc? What are you feeding for diet?
Karrie

Jacks5706

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ovjtjqu said:
Has it affected his eating or drinking? What is in the tank that he could be chewing on -- anything sharp like fake plants etc? What are you feeding for diet?
Karrie
It hasn't affected his eating or drinking, he isn't active as he was before. His tank is currently 29 gallons, I have a climbing rock, a hammock, a water bowl, and a mealworm bowl. I feed him crickets and mealworms and sometimes hornworms.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You didn't say anything about basking temps how your taking them and UVB-- that is the most crucial thing of all-- please do not feed anymore mealworms they are too hard on his stomach-- he needs fresh greens everyday like collards turnip or mustard greens-- squash any kind -- there is a nutrition website link on the feeding board--- a good staple feeder dusted 5 x per week an vitamins 2 x per week-- staple feeders are crickets dubia roaches or bsfl-- I recommend roaches and bsfl---make sure when feeding those crickets that they are not left in the tank as the honey will draw them to the dragon and feed on him
Karrie

Jacks5706

Original Poster
KarrieRee":11uqwodz said:
You didn't say anything about basking temps how your taking them and UVB-- that is the most crucial thing of all-- please do not feed anymore mealworms they are too hard on his stomach-- he needs fresh greens everyday like collards turnip or mustard greens-- squash any kind -- there is a nutrition website link on the feeding board--- a good staple feeder dusted 5 x per week an vitamins 2 x per week-- staple feeders are crickets dubia roaches or bsfl-- I recommend roaches and bsfl---make sure when feeding those crickets that they are not left in the tank as the honey will draw them to the dragon and feed on him
Karrie
He has his uvb bulb & his two heating bulbs. I read mealworms were fine and it was just a myth but I’m not so sure. I’ll order some dubias tonight. Feeding him greens won’t fix his lips would it? I took this bearded dragon from my boyfriend about a week ago and decided to care for it since I’ve had my bearded dragon for a year and half but my beardie has always been healthy.
The honey seems to be helping a bit but i doubt it’ll help completely.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very odd!
So he had some blood on his mouth area, when you brought him home with you from your
boyfriend previously caring for him?
Do keep using the raw, unpasteurized honey on that area to help ward off infection. As
instructed be sure there aren't any crickets in the tank that would be attracted to the honey.
Could your boyfriend prematurely peeled off skin that was shedding that made it bleed?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Tracie is our vet moderator she will best help you w/ the lip issue --- you didnt say what kind of lighting is in the tank --- if your using a coil UVB and its the 13 watt they are no good --- please get rid of it and replace w/ a Reptisun 10.0 Tube either the T 8 or a T 5 - the 29 gallon tank wont last long for him so you will haft to put the fixture width wise over him --- 2 heating bulbs ? you should only need 1 a good bright white basking bulb --- NO colored bulbs they can cause blindness or long term eye damage--- he is probably going thru relocation stress but he should be more energetic and eating some - he should not completely stop eating all together-- you said you had another bearded dragon so your not completely new to this --- its just we get people who have them but still their set ups are not right and are having issues so we need to go over everything to rule out stuff causing issues- he needs salads every day and no feeding greens is not going to fix his lips its just that he needs a salad now too just not all protein besides you will have issues later on down the road w/ not feeding him them now --- they tend not to eat greens if they get to old then people cant get them to eat them at all --- so its better to start now getting them to eat them - I would feed him a few superworms in the salad bowl one where they cant get out of w/ some BSFL on top to entice him to that bowl - feed them first thing in the morning and then his staple feeder later like an hour or so afterwards so hes had time to eat the salad and worms ---- but first work on finding out why he has bloody lips that is odd to me too unless like Tracie said someone was pulling on loose skin around his lips ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom