Semi hard urates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, just a question about my beardie's urate.
First of all, he is about 9 to 10 months old and is about to shed, I see his skin dulling. His basking spot is 100-105°F and I have a Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb with tinfoil reflector mounted inside his tank (only used for about a month), about 8-9 inches from his basking spot. Humidity hovers from 40%-50% because it's naturally high in California. He eats a diet of Dubias, Phoenix worms and Mealworms. He'll eat about 15 1/2 inch dubias, about 7 mealworms and 20 Phoenix worms a day. I dust the Dubia's in calcium every day, and leave the Mealworms and Phoenix worms alone. He also gets the occasional waxworm. He eats a few pieces of kale a day also, not sure exactly how much.

I had just picked up his poop and I always inspect it before I flush it. The poop was solid, and he was able to digest all his food. However, his urate was slightly hard, it took a little pressure to break it up with a Q-tip. It is all white, with no discoloration. I assume this is because he is not as hydrated as he could be. I've tried a lot to get him hydrated, right now I have a water bowl in his tank. Other than that, I give him baths about 2-3 times a week, I mist him maybe 3-4 times a week, and I try to give him water with a dropper, which he takes maybe 1 or 2 drops. Should I be concerned? I noticed his skin is a little wrinkly sometimes, but it's only been recent. Is it because of his shedding? Or too much calcium intake? Please let me know what I can do to help him out, I know passing hard urates isn't the best for them. Thank you!!

ChrisKim1010047

Original Poster
Side note: I've done the "pinch test" on his back skin, and it takes about 1 1/2 seconds for it to flatten out again. It usually only wrinkles when I pick him up from the sides. Right now, he is basking and his skin has no wrinkles at all.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It could be the reflector on the hood beings its tin foil--- are you going to get a regular hood in the future w/ a reflector on it? How far is the UVB from his basking spot? I am assuming its a T 8? Is he drinking from his baths? I dont think you need to be bathing him as much as you are w/ you misting him and getting him to drink from a dropper / syringe --
Karrie

ChrisKim1010047

Original Poster
It's a Reptisun 10.0 T8 that is 8-9 inches from his basking spot as I said in my first post. I typically don't want him to drink too much from the bath as I just use sink water and I don't want him drinking all the chemicals.

I plan to switch to 10.0 T5 in January.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sorry missed that part- I would try adjusting the distance to 6-8 inches-- see if that makes a difference-- the T 5 will need to be 12-15 inches inside the tank---
You can start washing his greens before you serve them and he will get moisture from them as well
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom