Recommended Basking Bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
It's in the title, so far these bulbs aren't lasting for me. I originally tried using the reptisun basking bulbs but they did not get anywhere near warm enough. I tried using halogen bulbs but their life time vs how long they're used daily only gives 2-3 months per bulb, meaning Im spending $20 on bulbs every 4-5 months.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
2-3 months for the halogens is about what I get. I found that the ZooMed bulbs had quite a bit smaller lifespan as you've seen too. LED bulbs would have a longer lifespan but don't produce nearly enough heat. I'm in the same boat you are in terms of cost and longevity of the bulbs. Perhaps a combination of LED and heat projector would work but I haven't messed with that yet (and it would take up more space).

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I stand corrected, this one lasted 34 days or approx. 430 hours on time vs its reported 1100 hour life span. Just returned 4 bulbs that each burnt out within a month for $30 that'll go towards getting more. If they actually lasted their reported life time of 1100 hours it would be closer to that 3 month target.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Which brand have you been using? I've had pretty good luck using the GE PAR38s. The 90w is nearly impossible to find now but the 80w version does the job too.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
GE PAR38 80W halogen is the most recent bulb that I used

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK that's the same one then. What kind of fixture are you using? Are you dimming the bulb? I have mine in a 250w max bayco dome fixture (designed for chicken brooder lamps) and it's connected to a herpstat which dims according to the temp probe on the basking surface. Latest one went in on Nov 19 so it's fairly new. I'll pay closer attention and note when it burns out to get a better idea of longevity (2-3 mo is a rough guess based on memory).

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Its a 150w max socket/dome from I forget what/where. I cant dim it because its barely hitting proper temps as is.

I got this bulb on October 30th at 8:46pm so the bulb wasnt used that day, and its not been on today. That leaves 33 days of 13hrs/ea before burning out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom