Head bobbing and black beard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geckogrl

Hi, just recently rehomed a 4 year old female beardie and she’s been turning her beard black and bobbing her head. I think it’s at her reflection in the tank, but she also turns her beard black and looks at me until I take her out to cuddle, then it turns back to normal. She’s very clingy and loves when I hold her. I’m hoping it’s just her wanting to be held and not something else but does anyone have advice? I recently switched the basking light from powersun 160 to reptisun 10.0 because that’s the light she came with and it’s less bright and reflective on the sides. I was hoping the reflections from it wouldn’t freak her out as much. She’s been eating and pooping pretty normally, about once a day. I feed her a mix of the omnivore mix by zilla and the pellets from flukers. When I have time to hand-feed her I feed her fresh greens because she likes when it moves. I dust her crickets with calcium and d3 powder.
EDIT: her tank is on a shelf above my other beardie tank, is it possible she smells him? I haven’t introduced them or anything.
Setup:
Reptisun 10.0
Ceramic heat emitter
Repticarpet

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Geckogrl":p7vghbwq said:
Hi, just recently rehomed a 4 year old female beardie and she’s been turning her beard black and bobbing her head. I think it’s at her reflection in the tank, but she also turns her beard black and looks at me until I take her out to cuddle, then it turns back to normal. She’s very clingy and loves when I hold her. I’m hoping it’s just her wanting to be held and not something else but does anyone have advice?

I recently switched the basking light from powersun 160 to reptisun 10.0 because that’s the light she came with and it’s less bright and reflective on the sides.
now that you got the UVB right, what kind of basking bulb are you using in conjunction with it?
I was hoping the reflections from it wouldn’t freak her out as much. She’s been eating and pooping pretty normally, about once a day. I feed her a mix of the omnivore mix by zilla and the pellets from flukers. When I have time to hand-feed her I feed her fresh greens because she likes when it moves. I dust her crickets with calcium and d3 powder.
EDIT: her tank is on a shelf above my other beardie tank, is it possible she smells him? I haven’t introduced them or anything.
This is possible.
Setup:
Reptisun 10.0
Ceramic heat emitter
Repticarpet

What size viv is she in?

Geckogrl

Original Poster
What size viv is she in?[/quote]
It’s the same size as the other one I have, i don’t remember if it’s 40 or 50 gal but it’s 35”x19”x16”. She likes to climb so I’ve given her plenty of things to climb on. She has a log that goes up diagonally and a hammock she can access from the log.

Geckogrl

Original Poster
105846-3978012400.jpg
here’s a picture of my setup, she’s right next to my gecko tank so I made sure to cover the wall of the viv as much as I could so she doesn’t get stressed out!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You mentioned no basking light! And yes it's possible she smells the other dragon and the reflection of herself would also cause the behavior- I would cover the tank on the outside of where she can see herself see if that bobbing and black bearding stops
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom