Salmonella in bearded dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had big Charlie for about 2 years now, and he has never bitten me before. Yesterday was a very nice day and I decided to take him out. He freaked out, ran around the yard, and bit me. This afternoon I've felt very sick. I have a fever and a bad head ache. As I'm writing this, I feel sick from my stomach, but that might be for some other reason. I know this isn't on the topic of specifically bearded dragons, but I don't know if this is as serious as it might be. Also, if it this is Salmonella (i'm probably going to the doctor tomorrow if i feel bad still), can this hurt big Charlie? Sorry again if this isn't on topic.

charliethelizard

Original Poster
Also the bite wasn't very deep and I washed it with hot water and soap. It was on the side of my hand and it wasn't like he was biting me for very long (probably like 3 seconds).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Been bitten by bearded dragons many times , always accidential and my fault.

Never had more than a sore bite wound for a week or two til it healed.

You were probably in shock , very unlikely the bite made you sick. Most likely just a coincidence.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Typically Salmonellosis takes 1-3 data to develop symptoms after exposure to it. So it's quite unlikely the sickness you are feeling is from salmonella if you started to feel sick less than 24 hours later. It is cold season and lots of different bugs seem to be going around this year. Trust me, I have a 16 month old. We've gotten it all this year lol.

However it is possible there was some bacteria in the bite wound. Which could have caused a fever. However if the bite doesnt seem to be infected, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I agree, timing is most likely coincidence. But even if it is salmonella, most of the time people recover just fine without medical treatment. Are you having diarrhea?

-Brandon

charliethelizard

Original Poster
I don't have diarrhea. I just woke up and my fever is 100.2, so I have to go to the doctor. I'll tell y'all what happens and if it is salmonella.

charliethelizard

Original Poster
So I came back from the doctor, and they said it was just a virus I had and that the wound was healing up well and didn't look infected (I ended up basically dying over there, but that wasn't because of big belly charlie).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom