Possible RPI in baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Thank you alot ^_^ so much helpful information is so so appreciated. I did look up alot on how to transport but didnt know about using only one so that is grealy appreciated. I have a small plastic tote I used to stor some vhs tapes in (behold my age lmao) that I am going to super scrub clean and use. I have some fleece to wash to for her unless that willretain to much heat? And her bath towl (hand towel from tje bathroom) I plan to wrap the warmer in. 150 degrees is crazy didnt know they get that hot! If she stays this way through the weekend deffinitely getting vet I have chosen is the ones that see out reptiles from petsmart and our employees use alot so feedback is solid. They also have good repor wirh a breeder here I discovered.

But how will I know if they are knowlwdganle enough? Like are there big nonos besides hisbamdry they would tell me to do? I feel confident I would know if they said like soak her or something. But any other big warnings?

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Ah its me again lol. She has an appt for wed afternoon the vet agreed she should be seen and it aounds like an RI -_- yesterday her breathing was better but this morning she is frogging and keeping her mouth open longer. And she has a weird thing in one nostril. Now her face is showing signs of shed like her tail so it could be related? I very very gently petted her head and kinda rubbed down it but its stuck good and irritates her on touch so no more touchies from me.
60731-4458661759.jpg

Edit: must have been shed she shook it out right after I posted this ?silly little bean.

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Vet visit today! Pumpkin was not pleased -_- not really sure I like the vet as she told me to cut her multivitamin to once a month and drop her temp to 95° and basically cut oyt her calcium. She does agree it being the signs of a respiratory infection but also basically said it was a sign of heart failure.

We may be doing an oral antibiotic?She is going to check on spectrums and see if the lowest one will work? I am a bit confused tbh. She didnt really give me anything to go on.

I am confused/concerned because she was prodding alot for a fat pad she couldnt find. Is it normal in a baby to not find the fat pads? Or mistake them for an organ? This vet sorta has my teeth on edge given she kinda told me I was f-ed from the beginning with my current husbandey set up :/ which I kinda learned all from here so I know my enclosure is set up right. I may not go back to her tbh.

Idk if it is me but this vet kind of sent up alot of red flags :/ I feel like I just tormented my dragon for no reason.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh darn, I hate to see a vet grasping at straws and giving you no confidence. Your temps. + uvb are all good. The prodding for " fat pads " ,conclusion of heart failure sounds like the vet has no clue, I would not go back. Sorry they wasted your time. BTW, how much calcium were you using and was it with D3 ?

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Yeah ahe was prodding alot and was saying her left one was probably hidden by her organs and that her liver felt over large? It was confusing. And like she tried to sex her/him by the phemoral pores saying if they stayed light she was a girl? That kinda made no sense to me.

I am using it 4 to 5x a week dusting dubias. Weirded me out she wanted me to cut it back. And to cut vitamins down to once a month? I mean she is still a baby I am sure max 3 months old? OH and she wanted me to sqitch my collards to romaine :/ for moisture. Yeah no

I am glad you agree going back wouldnt be in my dragon's best interest. And she cursed alot. I may be spoiled with my dog's super professional amazing vet (wish they had an exotic vet) but like I dont think a vet should be dropping fbombs and saying sheet (censored myself lol) througj every sentence.

So Im not sure what to do. I could go to another exotic vet but I really worry about stressing Pumpkin and we are in a rainy spell so this moisture will worsen a respiratory issue I am assuming? Should I just try basic home care?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's unfortunate that the vet rubbed you the wrong way. It's important to establish a good relationship with a vet and build trust because you're making important decisions together. It is probably worth checking out a different vet in the long run but for now it may be best to just keep the temps up a bit, keep offering plenty of food (and calcium dusted bugs - light even coat at every meal) and fresh veges (stick with the collards...). Maybe a dehumidifier nearby would help if it's really humid. I wouldn't worry about that a whole lot unless it feels very humid in the room though.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yeah, this vet knows nothing and sad to say is probably harming other people's reptiles with his lack of knowledge. :( just keep Pumpkin warm and carry on as usual. Def. don't go back. Even if this is the start of an R.I you can help her get over it with good care. But one more thing, just use the calcium very lightly and if it has D3, get the kind without D3. Use the D3 type only once a week, without D3 2-3 X a week, but again, very lightly. Mutlivitamin once a week very lightly on 1 meal.

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Thank you both very much! With the advice I already got here the breathing has improved so I will kep on with what we are doing. I may invest in a dehumidifier though if it continues. Is there a preferred brand without D3? I know it has to have no phosphorous right? I was doung vitamins 2 to 3x but will reduce to 1x.

Oh if I may ask. Pumpkin is 11inch nosw to tail and 66grams. She said that was a bit fat? But I dont fewl it is :/

I am glad it is not me overreacting. I was prepared for some misinformation but so much stuff was just wrong. And when I tried to say I preferred my way she badically told me I was dumb for trusting the internet. Mmm no I am trusting owners who have years of experience.

If I end up at a vet again I will pick another deffinitely. I am glad I got alot of info off here to know better.

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Ok thank you! I was looking at that one but wasnt sure if brands necessarily mattered? Thank you thank you thank to everyone! Hopefully I can just help her get through this. Its a lucky blessing her appetite and poo have remained good. Heck these past several days during her shed her appetite has increased alot. Which is oppostie her first shed smh. Sweet little oddball.

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Got a call from the vets office from yesterday fecal sample came back heay with coccidia? They are giving us meds but I cant pick thise up until tomorrow morning. They said it may be causing her breathing problems? Tbh they seem to have no clue buuut was wondering if you all thought it was possible? Her poo is still great. Her appetite though is off the charts she is eating like I dont feed her. I may need to change the size of bugs as she is still getting the smallest bsfl and roaches. But anyway she acts ok. Thoughts?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's your decision but I don't trust the vet one bit. I would look for another one at some point but no hurry. Remember, this vet did not know about proper set up, calcium supplementation or how to sex a beardie. Those are huge red flags and I would be in doubt as to their ability to diagnose anything properly at this point.

aronoiiel

Original Poster
Sorry I think that was a dumb thing to ask -_- you are correcct my gut very much doeant trust this vet. Ok. Second opinion before medicating. Tbh the advice here has helped alot already. There are only certain times she frog breathes now instead of it being constant and her mouth opening with it has eased a bit. Sorey I dont mean to irritate with worrying to much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom