Tips for a first time breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckhunter2213

Hi I have been doing ALOT of research and preparation to begin breeding bearded dragons. At this point I feel like I have a good understanding of what I need to do to properly breed. I also have a breeder that I have been discussing stuff with to get more hands on experience from them.

I have just recently got the baby male bearded dragon that I will be using for breeding so I have a while to go before I begin. I am looking for any and all advice related to breeding and feeding the babies when they hatch.

any tips or advice is greatly appreciated as I would love to learn as much as possible. I have been researching this for over a year and have at least about a year until I could evem attempt breeding, I am however going to wait until I know all I can to ensure I doing this correctly

Thank you very much in advance!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There is so many things to learn and so many tips and tricks that it would be almost impossible to put them all down in words. A lot of it comes just from experience, unfortunately.

Do you have any specific questions?

My biggest tips are to be honest with how much money you are going to need to spend on feeding.
Another tip is have multiple setups available. You most likely will get some nips. If you have the space, separate any babies that you think might be your top quality to prevent them from getting nips.

They eat a lot. And you will need to keep them well fed for at least 6 weeks. Assuming you can find them all a home by the 6 week mark.

Are you going to be breeding high end morphs? Or regular dragons? Who is your target buyer?

And do as much research as you can into genetics.

Good luck!

-Brandon

Duckhunter2213

Original Poster
claudiusx":1m4infxm said:
There is so many things to learn and so many tips and tricks that it would be almost impossible to put them all down in words. A lot of it comes just from experience, unfortunately.

Do you have any specific questions?

My biggest tips are to be honest with how much money you are going to need to spend on feeding.
Another tip is have multiple setups available. You most likely will get some nips. If you have the space, separate any babies that you think might be your top quality to prevent them from getting nips.

They eat a lot. And you will need to keep them well fed for at least 6 weeks. Assuming you can find them all a home by the 6 week mark.

Are you going to be breeding high end morphs? Or regular dragons? Who is your target buyer?

And do as much research as you can into genetics.

Good luck!

-Brandon

I guess currently the biggest things I'm wanting to know are the pros and cons of a burmation period before breeding, best type of incubator, and what is the ideal feeder to breed to keep up with the babies?

also for my pairing I have a deep red leatherback female with blue baring(no hets) and a dark red male normal scale hypo 66%het trans orange colorstripe(visual stripe) with deep blue baring.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When I was breeding, I was breeding mealworms and supers, and buying crickets and sometimes buying BSFL ig I could get them cheap enough.

If you had a big enough dubia colony that could work. However, from a financial standpoint, it makes more sense to sell the dubia roaches than to feed them to your baby dragons. But if you are breeding for the experience of it, having a well established and large dubia colony is the cheapest way. But if you are doing it for money, youd make more selling dubias.
At least until you're able to get top dollar for your lines.

Unfortunately you wont be able to prove out your male unless your female was also het trans and you didnt know it.

I recently picked up a phantom stripe from Josh d. Which is basically the visual color stripe. I dont understand the color stripe genetics at all really as I never worked with them in the past, so I have no clue how or how well that trait passes on. Part of the experience :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom