Rusty, The Almighty

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Re: Rusty, The Almighty

Postby JohnVLillywhite » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:25 am

Question for experienced beardie owners.

The first day Rusty got here, he ate 1 roach. The second day, 2 roaches and a Phoenix Worm. The third day, 4-5 roaches and 4-5 phoenix worms.

Now he won't eat anything. Not salad, not roaches, not worms.

He is still very active and doesn't show any sign of illness, but why has he stopped eating? Will he just eat when he wants to eat?
JohnVLillywhite
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby claudiusx » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:34 am

Relocation stress :)

That's how it goes a lot of times. They eat "ok" for the first day or two, and then don't want to eat anymore.

One example would be one of mine. He ate the first two days. And then basically didn't eat for a full week. And by the next week, he slowly started eating little by little again as he settled down. It wasn't until week 3 before he was truly eating what I would consider a normal amount.

Another one I have ate from day 1 and never stopped. They all handle their stresses different, just like we do :)

All you can do is make sure your husbandry is proper, and let him settle in :)

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

Postby JohnVLillywhite » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:53 am

claudiusx wrote:Relocation stress :)

That's how it goes a lot of times. They eat "ok" for the first day or two, and then don't want to eat anymore.

One example would be one of mine. He ate the first two days. And then basically didn't eat for a full week. And by the next week, he slowly started eating little by little again as he settled down. It wasn't until week 3 before he was truly eating what I would consider a normal amount.

Another one I have ate from day 1 and never stopped. They all handle their stresses different, just like we do :)

All you can do is make sure your husbandry is proper, and let him settle in :)

-Brandon

Thank you, Brandon!

I was thinking it was relocation stress, but I wasn't sure.

Would relocation stress cause him to hide a lot instead of basking? Sometimes he will be basking, but more often than not, he will be hiding in the middle of his enclosure. Is this normal for relocation stress?

[Click image to enlarge]

Rusty hiding
JohnVLillywhite
Newbie Poster

Postby JohnVLillywhite » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:09 am

I also found what looks to be a dried regurgitation. Can you confirm if this is regurgitated food?
[Click image to enlarge]
JohnVLillywhite
Newbie Poster

Postby JohnVLillywhite » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:58 pm

Okay. Update. For whatever reason, Rusty started MOWING through roaches today. I'm trying to handle him as little as possible (because of relocation stress), but when you take him out of the enclosure at night, and he does this, it's hard to leave him in the tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbsj6BR5Pz8&feature=youtu.be
Rusty Snuggles
JohnVLillywhite
Newbie Poster

Postby JohnVLillywhite » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:57 pm

I've been reading around, and it seems the new "thing" is tank size. I have always been under the impression that a 40 Gallon Breeder is a good size for baby-adult beardie. I'm now reading that you want a 120 gallon for an adult beardie. Is this true? Will the 40 gallon stunt growth?
JohnVLillywhite
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:19 pm

a 40g breeder won't stunt growth, it just gives less space to move around in and less space to create heat and light gradients. If you can provide more space down the line, great. Otherwise you can supplement by setting lights up outside the tank if it's safe to do so (clean area, no other pets around etc). The wiggling and snuggling into a spot when outside the tank is pretty normal behavior for them too.
CooperDragon

Postby claudiusx » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:49 am

Just parroting what Cooper said.

I've raised and kept adults in 40g breeders for years. I have more space now, so I like to house my dragons in 4x2x2s but dragon's don't get stunted growth by having a smaller tank.

Like Cooper said, you can always let them roam around or take them outside to "stretch out" :)

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby JohnVLillywhite » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:57 pm

Should I be concerned that Rusty is often glass surfing or running around his cage? I take him out every day for about 30 mins at a time 2-4 times a day. Is he just "spoiled" and wants out, or is there a different problem? No stress marks, bright colors, seems happy.
JohnVLillywhite
Newbie Poster

Postby JohnVLillywhite » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:07 pm

So Rusty hasn't been eating a whole lot the past 3 days. He's eating about 1-4 small roaches a day. He seems skinny. When we put roaches in front of him, he'll just look at it, and not eat. All the temps, and other information has been listed in this topic. Anyone able to help?
JohnVLillywhite
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:46 pm

I know you said you had 10.0 Reptisun is it a T 8 or a T 5? And its on top of screen ? If its a T 8 it should be in the tank and not on top---- and 6-8 inches from basking spot----
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

Postby JohnVLillywhite » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:37 pm

T8 on top of the screen. I’ve had a beardie housed EXACTLY the same way before, and he never had a problem eating.
JohnVLillywhite
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:58 pm

The T 8 needs to go inside the tank the screen is blocking 30% of those Ray's and the bulb is not strong enough--- it needs to be 6-8 inches away from basking spot--
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

Postby JohnVLillywhite » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:17 pm

KarrieRee wrote:The T 8 needs to go inside the tank the screen is blocking 30% of those Ray's and the bulb is not strong enough--- it needs to be 6-8 inches away from basking spot--
Karrie

The UVB lamp, on top of the screen is 4 inches away from the basking spot. We just went and bought some crickets, thinking he was picky, and he munched a few up. Could he just be picky since he's only 2 months old?
JohnVLillywhite
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:30 pm

The lighting in the tank is crucial- if it's not correct along w/ basking temps your gonna have issues- I would make sure bulb is exposed and put the fixture in the tank approx 6-8 inches from basking spot- you will see a difference in his behavior they will not eat if lighting etc is not correct
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Beardie Tales