my Dubia colony loves oatmeal more than their roach chow

Status
Not open for further replies.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Why did I even buy all this special roach chow when they love the dry oatmeal so much! I got the oatmeal for keeping some superworms around. Then a few weeks ago I gave the roaches some. They can't get enough. They eat this faster than the normal roach chows I have for them.

It is probably fine to keep giving them oatmeal as a new main food? I put the oatmeal on a upsidedown frisbee so it is a big roach feast dish. They get oranges and apples occasionally. Devlyn is still brumating but the roaches are awake. Turned their heat mat down to 79°F and they are still making new babies.

103228-8317878316.jpg
I don't even like oatmeal. It is a bug only food in this house.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oatmeal is a perfect food for them just make sure you still include some fruits and vegies for micronutrients. The commercial roach chews have too much protein in them. Oatmeal has a small amount of protein in it but this ends up being almost the perfect amount.

I dont know why I haven't thought of that. I've been looking into options for a chow recipe I can use that is only at 4% protein.

Thank you LOL.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
You're right. Lower protein should be good for both roaches and my dragon. The roaches do get apples and oranges. Some other vegetables and fruits, but they show their preference for apples and oranges devouring them almost overnight. I also give them carrots regularly, even though they don't eat them as fast.

The big container of oatmeal is from Costco. No one in this house eats oatmeal except for roaches. Want to keep healthy roaches for a healthy dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom