Bearded dragon suddenly can’t move front legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get the test results and post them - I would like Tracie drache613 to look at them-- she's the vet moderator
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I am sorry to hear this -- did she say thats what was causing the issue w/ the front legs--- anything about MBD? Is she moving better w/ the UVB in place?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so hopefully some others like Tracie can give you some help as well
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

To be honest with you it really sounds like a husbandry issue. Of course at this point it's manifested itself into a physical symptom, but MBD does take awhile to develop usually.

How you originally had your setup wouldn't have been providing proper UV exposure, which means calcium wouldn't have been getting absorbed properly. Calcium levels in the blood can be within normal range, and still not be doing anything really. Especially if the body was leaching calcium from the bones. The best way to check would have been an Xray to look at bone density. I doubt the pathology results will show a serious infection like that, but it's always a possibility I suppose.

However, I have a saying I like to use. When you hear hoof steps outside your window at night, don't go looking for Zebras. Usually it's not going to be some rare horrible thing like encephalitis or meningitis. It's almost always related to husbandry issues, at least when there is a history of husbandry not being up to par.

You really can't rely on those dial thermometers though. Do you have a digital with probe end or an IR thermometer? Temperature is probably one of the most important things to their health, and those dial thermometers have been proven to be extremely inaccurate.

I really do hope the best for your dragon. If it is just MBD, usually the symptoms don't get reversed, but they can be stopped from progressing.
But please do post the blood results when you get them.

Rooting for you two.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry about these issues that your girl is having ! I agree that it's very unlikely to be meningitis or anything like that. Prescribing a powerful antibiotic is just a waste until the bloods come back. And seeing calcium levels can not tell you if you have a problem with your bones. So while it's slight possibility of being neurological it's just as likely to be MBD. Swiss chard should not be fed, it's very high in oxalates and that prohibits the calcium absorption. Kale is fine as is turnip, mustard, collard , dandelion greens and some squash. A multivitamin once a week to be sure she's getting enough Vit. B . One more thing, put the uvb over near the basking bulbs so she can get more while she's basking. She may not be getting enough exposure since the uvb is opposite of the heat/basking area. Hope to hear some improvements !

ForcefulOrange

Original Poster
This is what the vet sent me. I’m going to make sure she’s getting calcium in case it is MBD but I’m also going to be very cautious with her and treat it as if it were something as bad as meningitis.

What do I do if she continues to not eat? I’ve tried introducing new foods and syringe feeding her, but she has no interest in them.

106714-1782706837.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I might have missed it but what brand of tube 10 bulb are you using?
Thanks for posting the blood test results. Everything "appears" normal, but after reviewing
the setup etc, I doubt that she would all the sudden develop a neurological issue. I mean it's
always possible but not near as likely as a calcium issue.
The protein values weren't indicative of egg issues, her calcium levels are normal as was her
uric acid & AST readings. The calcium levels can be tricky. That only gives you her blood serum
levels but, not the 25 Hydroxy levels which is essentially the calcium & D3 stored in the bones.
Her bones could be getting leached right now to simply maintain homeostasis blood serum levels
& you would never know. An ionized calcium test should be run to determine that.
What calcium do you use, powder or liquid?

Tracie

ForcefulOrange

Original Poster
It is the Reptisun 10.0 T8. I use both powder and liquid calcium. I use liquid for her veggies and powder for her protein.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is the T 8 inside the tank 6-8 inches from basking? I know somebody mentioned on moving it to opposite side -- Tracie will haft to answer question about the calcium issue
Karrie

ForcefulOrange

Original Poster
I had it on the outside of the cage but it was 6-8 inches from her basking spot. I didn’t know the screen could interfere with the UV transfer. It’s now inside her cage.

She still doesn’t have any interest in eating. What should I do if she continues to not eat?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Did you get her basking temps up she should have a gradient of 95-105--- that too will help her to get eating again but the UVB definitely will help--- how long has it been since she's eaten? What is her weight and is she losing weight? Tracie or some others need to address the eating issue and tell you what you can do on that subject-- I would change her greens up and start offering collard turnip and mustard along w/ squash -- any kind-- there is a nutrition website link on the feeding board--- CK it out
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom