Help, first time beardie owner. Is this scale rot or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exla

Hello, I have had my beardie for seven months now and all was okay until i moved her to her new 40 gallon tank. I have her hot side at 90-100 degrees and the cool side from 80-75 degrees. Humidity is always moderate and she has a 100w basking bulb and a 10.0 uvb bulb . She eats kale and carrots that are sprinkled with calcium and crickets. I give her superworms for a treat. She wasnt eating at all when I put her in her new tank. She has started to gain her appetite back since I got her new bulbs. She hasnt been shedding like normal though, she is shedding individual scales on her tummy and the scales underneath are weak and discolored. The man at the pet store said it was due to lack of moister so I have been spritsing her twice daily and she usually gets a bath once a week if she doesnt run through her poop when I am at work. I am only a cashier in a small town with little money and do not have my license so the vet is hard to visit. I have a photo but I can not find a way to show you guys if you know how plz let me kn
106676-6764596710.jpg
ow

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

You can post a picture using this:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/
Upload your picture to the site, then copy and paste the XIMG code to your post.

The picture will help a lot.

I wouldn't continue misting the dragon though, it's not necessary.

What is your basking surface temp? you only mentioned your hot side and cool side.

It's not uncommon for them to get a bit stressed when moved to a new tank, as it's a whole new environment for them.

-Brandon

Exla

Original Poster
Brandon, I do not have a temp gun but I would have to guess it stays around 95 degrees most times and when it is warmest would be mostly 100 due to the fact I have a glass tank with a screen top and do not have any heat in my room.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need to get a digital probe from Petsmart or Petco they are $5 --- you need to get a actual basking temp --- the UVB is it a coil or a tube?? If its a coil you want to get rid of it -- they are not the best -- you need to get a tube w/ a fixture w/ a reflector --- and they are spendy--- you can get a fixture from this website I think its the cheapest I have found https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html-- I would recommend getting this --- depending on the screen it can sit on top as long as the screen is wide whole and not a fine mesh
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

A digital with probe end will be just perfect for measuring your basking surface temp. And like Karrie said, they are quite cheap now luckily.

That being said, the belly looks perfectly normal, no scale rot or anything there :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom