My Baby beardie died during shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

heidi123

Hi guys. I have an 8 week old leatherback that started to shed a couple of days ago. She looked miserable. Went off her food and would sleep under the basking lamp VERY lethargic. This afternoon I found she had passed. So upset and really wanting to know what may have happened.

The only addition I put was some plants. I'll try to attach a pic. I noticed that she was shedding and noticed a green tinge on the back of her head.

We breed our own woodies/roaches and the other 2 dragons are fine. The temps and uvb are spot on.

Can anyone help me try to diagnose what happened please? I would be so grateful to gain some type of understanding.

I have uploaded 4 pics. the healthy one is of her one week ago. the other 2 are after she passed. See the green tinge behind her ears? Also put up a pic of the plants i put in the enclosure.

full

full

full

full

Thank you

RastaDragon

hi,
i am sorry, i am not able to offer any advice, but i just want to say i am so very sorry about the loss of your little one.

blessings and love
RD.

heidi123

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your kindness. I cant believe how hard it has been for me and my little kids. Poor Zara. I just wish i knew what i did wrong. Thank you ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How awful I'm so sorry for your loss.

We can try to go over some possibilities, but sometimes there just isn't an answer.

She looked really small to begin with, some there is a possibility she had been sick from birth, or had some genetic issue, or just failed to thrive.

What plants did you add to the tank?
What were they planted in? Is it possible there was fertilizers in the soil that she could have ate?

-Brandon

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
That’s a jade plant in your enclosure on the top left (not the light one but the dark green one hanging down on that rock that looks like it was stepped on a bit.) those are EXTREMELY poisonous! Get those succulents out of there, succulents are not safe for pets. I grow succulents myself and I am a biology major, succulents are BAD. Beardies lick EVERYTHING, and touching the leaf triggers the plant to immediately release poisonous compounds to make small herbivores asphyxiate mid-meal and make large herbivores feel sick and not want to eat the plant again.

Don’t ever put plants in with a bearded dragon unless you have done the research to verify that it’s an okay plant.

loljelloclowdz":3smobq0m said:
That’s a jade plant in your enclosure on the top left - those are EXTREMELY poisonous! Get those succulents out of there, succulents are not safe for pets. I grow succulents myself and I am a biology major, succulents are BAD. Beardies lick EVERYTHING, and touching the leaf triggers the plant to immediately release poisonous compounds to make small herbivores asphyxiate mid-meal and make large herbivores feel sick and not want to eat the plant again.

Don’t ever put plants in with a bearded dragon unless you have done the research to verify that it’s an okay plant.

Yes, I agree with you, loljelloclowdz. Bearded dragons lick anything and everything; Zara probably licked the plant. I'm sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose a beardie 'puppy' as well, having lost the runt of my first beardie 'litter.'

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that your little one passed in that way. :cry:
Unfortunately, I agree that if he did lick the plant or ingest any of it, it likely became toxic.
It is horrible to lose one.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Do you still have her ?

I'll come right out and offer looking at the photos, no sunken eyes, no evidence of blood pooling in lower areas of tummy, no mention of rigor mortis , may still be alive , just very sick .

I have brought back rescued reptiles ( skinks ) from a similar state , I suggest in cases like this to place the apparently dead lizard in a warm place in it's tank and monitor it for 24 to 48 hours , if it's truly passed away , the signs will be undenyable.

My very lovely and affectionate lady water skink Fluffy came to me apparently dead 3 years ago , I noticed she was not dead and nursed her back to health and fitness and she's become a great little pet skink . See my thread ( look up Fluffy water skink ).

You could perhaps have a vet check it for signs life ( doppler ultrasound will pick up any evidence of blood flow even if it's heart rate is very slow and it's breathing very shallow. It could be saved if you let the vet treat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom