Tylosin Vs. F10sc For RI *(Surpise Eggs, possible surgery)*

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's probably an uneven shed but a dark beard means stress or pain, probably a little of both but mostly stress. She's had a rough few weeks and now being carried to work with you she doesn't know what's going to happen next. Can you take a pic of her beard ?

hmwyer

Original Poster
She's resting now, but I'll take a picture tomorrow if it's still like that. She is definitely in pain I can tell. And exhausted at the same time. Yeah, at work she just laid in the carrier all day and only started moving about an hour before close. John got off work sooner than me, so I had him pick her up to take her home a but earlier, as I usually have to wait like an hour after close for carriers to return. I didn't want to keep her there any longer than necessary. I just couldn't trust her not to accidentally flip herself while no another was home. :/
Her beard has been like this since surgery though, so I'm sure that's the main reason. Stress from surgery and not being home much, but anyways, she is also shedding her head and beard on the opposite side of where it's dark in that one spot. And the shedding began before surgery and is just now beginning to flake off a bit. But yeah, I'll post pictures tomorrow. I don't want to bother her right now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, poor girl's been through a lot ! Is she on pain meds. for a few days ? Is she taking any water or slurry with a syringe ? She should start doing better after a week or so.

hmwyer

Original Poster
Yes, she is taking a little bit of water, so to.make up for that I'm giving her a very watered down slurry so she can have more water. And I guess I heard wrong about her peritonitis. I just spoke to the vet again about her flipping and when I said I had just given her the baytril and was feeding right now, she mentioned the peritonitis again. I guess she did have some ruptured follicles. That's why she gave baytril. As a precaution. So, that kind of worries me, but she seems fine. Just sore. She.also said she would've given pain meds but in reptiles it can cause liver failure and she wouldn't risk that by giving pain meds, but she said in the next few weeks she should be feeling better. Also, here's the best picture of the black part of her beard.
94216-9997918466.jpg
94216-8385597164.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, some vets still prescribe a smalll amount of pain meds. but your vet feels it's better safe than sorry . Possibly could be a greater risk of liver problems if given along with the Baytril. Hopefully she'll feel better day by day. I can't tell much about the beard, although I do see a small amount of black.

hmwyer

Original Poster
I didn't realize they had issues with pain med, so I couldn't understand why she wasn't on them, but yeah I'm glad she's erring on the side of caution.
Spyro might not, but momma is! ?
Yeah, that's all it is. Just a tiny, maybe nickel sized, black spot. The left side is shedding, this side isn't. Sorry the picture isn't that great. I had to keep her chin up and hold my phone and it wasn't working out so great. I try not pick her up much if I can help it, so I was just trying to take it while she was laying down during her lunch. I'll try again for her dinner slurry. ^_^

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm sure she is very exhausted, she has been through a huge ordeal. I didn't realize that she
had ruptured follicles. I completely agree with giving the Baytril then, to help with any type of
infection that sometimes follows problems & complications such as ruptured follicles.
You could look at trying serrapeptase, that is silkworm enzyme that helps with pain & swelling
& is completely natural without any side effects.
I hope she is feeling better!

Tracie

hmwyer

Original Poster
Oh, yes! I read about that a while back! I'll look into it for sure! She's moving around a great deal more. No flipping episodes and walking mostly normal now. She just had a good poo today too! It was a bit large and dry even though I've been pumping her with runny slurry and water, but I'm sure the surgery took a lot out of her. Thanks is for the idea on the serrapeptase! Yeah, I clearly missed heard the vet whe she called that night too about the rupture. The phone was breaking up and I was just so relieved to hear she made it out okay, I must've misheard her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is good to hear she hasn't had anymore flipping trouble right now!
She has probably been a bit dehydrated for awhile so it may take quite awhile for her body
to get back to normal.
At least she seems to be recovering nicely right now, that is terrific! Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

hmwyer

Original Poster
Hey, just a quick update! Her shed is now mostly off. There's still some on the underside of her beard, but most of her beard and all of her head and nose is clear. It appears her whole beard is in fact black though. She hasn't pooped again yet since the last time. Still eating and moving around a lot more now. I think still a little tired and in pain a bit, but overall better. Eyes open a lot more now. I'm not sure how long exactly to give the baytril. I think they said 2 weeks though. So about 3-4 more days of baytril? Not sure. I'll call monday to be sure though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific she is doing so well. Just her eating & moving around more is a great sign so
hopefully she isn't in much pain now. Though, how long has her beard been dark, just today
or has it been several days?
The Baytril could be bothering her system possibly. How much fluid are you giving her daily
to offset the dehydration effects of the antibiotics?

Tracie

hmwyer

Original Poster
It's been black since the surgery. So, about 12 days. I just couldn't see it all until the shed came off more. She's been getting about 3-6ml of water in her extra runny slurry (I have been mixing 1/4 tsp of repashy with 6ml or water and the remaining liquid calcium and feeding that 2-3 times during the day until it's either gone or she won't est anymore) and a few drops of plain water. I have to mix it with a little repashy to flavor it so she will take fluids. The bottle of baytril says to give for 2 weeks, but she gave enough for probably 4-6 weeks. But they always give extra, so I don't think she intended for me to give ALL of it to her. I just fed her some slurry, but I made this one a little thicker so she could have more foods in her system. There's a little left after her 3ml feed, so I've watered down the rest into about 6ml worth and will give that over the course of the evening.
She just passed a big poo around noon, after me saying she hasn't went in a few days. I was happy to see it seemed more hydrated and looked similar to maybe a Guinea pig's poo. Like it wasn't a runny mess or a HUGE poo. It was more like several (5-6) long individual poops. Urate is still hard though.
She is currently resting for a few hrs until her next feed.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh ok, that definitely makes sense. She is likely just having some pain in general after the
surgery. Poor girl, she must be exhausted.
She probably got really backed up due to being egg bound & stressed for so long, too.
They usually do give extra on the medications for them, so I guess a couple of weeks' worth
isn't bad then. I think that you are giving plenty of fluids right now & it sounds like she's also
getting adequate foods too.
Has her color improved any since she went to the bathroom?
I hope she gets some rest. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

hmwyer

Original Poster
I might give a few days extra of the baytril just to err on the side of caution and I'll still have a full round or more left in case I need it again.
Yes, her beard has returned to normal a day or so after the shed and poo, and only turns dark again if she's mad when I'm feeding her, so I usually let her on the floor to calm down for a few minutes before trying again with food. Speaking of, I did get her to eat thinly sliced butternut squash 3 days in a row now. Progress! ^_^

hmwyer

Original Poster
Omg you guys.....this is ridiculous.....First off, yes don't worry, I'm calling the vet tomorrow....but seriously as soon as I stopped with the baytril her respiratory came back. She started out with a little cough over the past few days, I thought "oh okay, just hacking up some leftover mucous.....NOPE. It's coming out of her mouth again. I ordered the serrapeptase and some more liquid calcium to hopefully continue to help her with her bone density loss as well as ordering other stuff. I have powder calcium that I'm giving in the meantime, but I just feel maybe the liquid is better. Anyways, I don't know what to do, like is the baytril even working or just keeping it at bay? I read somewhere that the serrapeptase not only helps with swelling and inflammation, but that it can help with fatty liver and thin mucous, so maybe that will help? If baytril is for bacterial infections, what can be given if this is maybe a viral thing? I don't think my vet knows who to do the wash thing to collect a sample for testing as I have asked about it in the past....can they just swab her mouth and test that or is that not sufficient enough to test what is causing this recurrence? I just don't know. Oh, and her tail looks to be shedding, but it has this gray line again wayyyy further up like it did the time it fell off, so I got worried the rot was somehow spreading, so I soaked it in diluted betadine. After the soak, I noticed a little of the tip of the tail had some shed coming off. So I gently peeled it off thinking it was stuck.....well, about half an inch came off and the scales underneath were very soft. I panicked I was doing a bad thing and stopped and have put some neosporin on the soft scales. Ugh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom