A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
opaquelace":3vimrx4k said:
So change of plans, we are now getting TWO beardeds instead of just one. I kept going back and forth, thinking my kids didn't need two, but they are twins so sometimes being treated as a single unit is frustrating, and I think them each having their own animal will be fun and a good experience for them. I sketched out the enclosure. It will be on wheels one enclosure on top of the other.

I've ordered everything for the enclosures, and the vitamins. Only things needed are the actual animals and the completed enclosures, and their live food. I've still got more research to do on how to keep dubias and crickets, etc.

How exciting! The kids will be over the moon. I agree with Karrie that dubias are a superior feeder, though I do still use crickets as a staple because it's quicker and easier to get them from my local petstore. I don't find them loud or smelly, but I keep them in smaller quantities than many people do - 100 or less at a time. Be prepared for how much your dragons are going to eat once they've settled in and gotten over that relocation stress! They are empty pits on legs!

If you DO wind up wanting to feed crickets, I'd suggest investing in a Full Throttle Feeders feeding cup - it really keeps most of the crickets from disappearing into hidey holes in the hab. Or better yet, feed the dragons in an empty storage tub so you can easily reclaim any uneaten feeders after the dragons have eaten their fill.

Keep us posted on how things go!

~Chris

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I definitely plan on the storage tub feeding method. Good thing is with the Christmas break the kids and I can take our sweet time learning about the animals and how to feed them.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
opaquelace":1qxjuf5g said:
I definitely plan on the storage tub feeding method. Good thing is with the Christmas break the kids and I can take our sweet time learning about the animals and how to feed them.

You’ll LOVE feeding time! It’s so much fun to watch them chow down on their bugs, and how excited they get when they know food is coming!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":3ns9533a said:
opaquelace":3ns9533a said:

You’ll LOVE feeding time! It’s so much fun to watch them chow down on their bugs, and how excited they get when they know food is coming!
Lol I’m so excited honestly this Christmas is going to be great for me and the kids. They’ll be so excited. My daughter fell in love with a chameleon at the Petco a few weeks ago and both have been wanting a pet that’s theirs. We got three huge boxes in from Amazon today with a lot of their things. Cage accessories, lights, vitamins, etc. Best thing is my kids are at the campground for the weekend so I can hide all the stuff.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
78132794_2467262636881113_7898784121105678336_n.jpg

The enclosures are almost done being built and I couldn't be more excited! Background and tile to come after I get them, as well as painting exterior black to blend in with our home.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I’m so vicariously excited about this - I want to hear ALL THE DETAILS on Christmas morning! What an excellent gift from Santa! :)

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":m9w7kgc0 said:
I’m so vicariously excited about this - I want to hear ALL THE DETAILS on Christmas morning! What an excellent gift from Santa! :)

I’ll be taking video and I’ll post it here. The exterior of the cages will be painted black and I’ve got cork and stuff going along the back walls. I’ll actually probably put some vinyl tiles down on the inside for right now as well on the floor of the cages for easy clean up.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
opaquelace":2sv3r09n said:
I’ll be taking video and I’ll post it here. The exterior of the cages will be painted black and I’ve got cork and stuff going along the back walls. I’ll actually probably put some vinyl tiles down on the inside for right now as well on the floor of the cages for easy clean up.

Good plan! Paper towels or newspaper for the floor will also aid in cleanup. They are prolific poopers, in terms of size... hard to believe one little lizard can produce such a pile of poo!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":2fdqfznb said:
opaquelace":2fdqfznb said:

Good plan! Paper towels or newspaper for the floor will also aid in cleanup. They are prolific poopers, in terms of size... hard to believe one little lizard can produce such a pile of poo!

Lol I've read that. I'll probably put newspaper on top of the vinyl tiles for a while. A few more days and I'll be picking up the cages and working on them at my parents house. Painting the outside, finishing up the inside, etc.
Here's another progress picture.
77393641_441805996481243_4184356619519262720_n.jpg

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
78894427_161283781915061_8188692674123923456_n.jpg

They're all finished (at least at the builder's house). I have to paint the exterior and finish up the inside and then we're ready for some dragons! They came out so beautiful. I was worried about having some bearded dragons in my den and how cages would look in there but I'm not worried anymore! I'll post pictures again when it's all finished, and again when I have the animals. And a video or two of my kids reactions lol. Thanks so much for all the help. It made the process a lot easier!

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
79413150_10104238344156610_2770400763736752128_n.jpg

Wheels on and the outside painted. Tomorrow I'm putting in the cork background and some fun/funky vinyl tiles I found on Amazon on the bottoms and interior sides. The bulbs I'll actually put in Christmas Eve night and decorate the cages then too. It's getting so close!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Awesome! I love this thread so much LOL.
It looks great! I can't wait to hear how excited your kids get :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom