Health questions about my bearded

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
So recently it kinda looks like Blaze's beard is bigger and more droopy. Does that just happen as they get older?
Also she seems to have had some digestion problems, she pooped in her cage a couple times this week and she usually doesn't do that. It was also more watery then normal. I wonder if she got too cold at night?

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
NibblezBeardie":1ldspood said:
Can you post pics?

Here, it looks fine to me but my mom actually said the beard looks more droopy.
DSCN0712.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

How much does blaze weigh?

Do you notice blaze holding food in her throat when she eats instead of swallowing it? My Moro does this and it causes her beard to look droopy like that all the time. Its slowly be getting better though with me feeding her smaller amounts at a time.

-Brandon

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
NibblezBeardie":3r65acxo said:
Huh. Nibbles’s beard get kinda droopy like that when she’s just eaten a lot. Has Blaze eaten something big recently?

No, this is several hours after she's eaten.

claudiusx":3r65acxo said:
Hi there,

How much does blaze weigh?

Do you notice blaze holding food in her throat when she eats instead of swallowing it? My Moro does this and it causes her beard to look droopy like that all the time. Its slowly be getting better though with me feeding her smaller amounts at a time.

-Brandon

I don't know her wight, I don't have a good scale anymore.
She does hold hornworms in her throat sometimes, but she didn't have any today and I couldn't feel anything in there. I wonder if she just has got a big beard now? She does seem to like to puff, lol!
I'll be back tomorrow.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
claudiusx":15imh85m said:
Do you notice blaze holding food in her throat when she eats instead of swallowing it? My Moro does this and it causes her beard to look droopy like that all the time.
I haven't looked much into female behaviors--no interest in breeding. Is this something to do with females holding onto food to feed to hatchlings (like birds)?

For weekly weighing-in, we've been using an inexpensive digital postal scale; it seems to be good to within a gram.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'll looking into getting a new scale like that.
She does look fine and is acting normal, I wonder if it was just a couple of days she was too cold. It gets pretty cold in my drafty old house, even if we leave to heat at 60, there is still cold air leaks.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi,

The neck wouldn't droop like that from the cold. It really only would be caused from holding food, fat deposits, or in rare cases, a growth. But it definitely doesnt look like a growth so I'm going with the other two options. Could you post a full body picture of her since you cant weigh her?

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
reptilemaster":2biko51w said:
She does look fine and is acting normal, I wonder if it was just a couple of days she was too cold. It gets pretty cold in my drafty old house, even if we leave to heat at 60, there is still cold air leaks.
One word: insulation :)
Some rigid foam insulation (pink, blue, or white) will do wonders with holding heat in a reptile enclosure. You can put some on any of the sidewalls not used for viewing, and the top (most heat loss occurs through the top) as long as it doesn't stop ventilation. None needed under the floor.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Here is a full body photo of her.
DSCN0713.jpg

You can also admire her amazing orange color!

Note: There is not mysterious gel dripping from the uv light, thats just where I didn't wipe off the glass very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom