Anybody up for teaching their beardie to "speak"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Some of you dog alphas out there may have recently heard/read about Stella, an 18 mo. old mixed-breed who is being taught to "speak" by her speech pathologist alpha.
Google: dog 29 words

In a YT vid I just watched, the pathologist was asked if the technique might work with cats. She answered in the affirmative.

So why not try it with beardies? I figure somebody out there must be crazy enough to try it... :laughing6:

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
What do you mean? Our two beardies talk to my wife and I all the time. If only one of us is there when it happens, we relate what they say to the other person via text & the "eyes with no mouth" emoticon. It's a bit premature, but we captioned this conversation with Otto for the less beardie-attuned.

100140-970230094.jpg

As you said in your other post, viva la weird! :lol:

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Have you read/heard about Stella? It' a little more than anthropomorphization or doing Bullwinkle/Scooby-Do voices; it's more like Kanzi--the bonobo who communicates via a lexigram board.

But it sounds like you may possess the requisite stuff... you're crazy enough! :roll: :laughhard:

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
MrSpectrum":2ytzpfrh said:
Have you read/heard about Stella? It' a little more than anthropomorphization or doing Bullwinkle/Scooby-Do voices; it's more like Kanzi--the bonobo who communicates via a lexigram board.

But it sounds like you may possess the requisite stuff... you're crazy enough! :roll: :laughhard:
Hahaha, guilty as charged! No, I haven't heard about Stella though... just a sec...

What's that Otto? Lassie's down the well again? Sorry, I gotta go! :lol:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
They don't need to actually " speak vocally ", they simply use their telepathy skills to get their human slaves to do their bidding.... heck all skink , gecko , monitor and dragon keepers know this.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Dog & cat owners do too. It's been a while since we've had a cat (allergies) but dogs spend an inordinate amount of time studying their alphas/owners body language. That's one reason they seem telepathic.

Zardoz is catching on too; he gets excited when I take his bug bowl out of the enclosure, having learned it usually comes back filled with num-nums.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
MrSpectrum":28fbc65g said:
Zardoz is catching on too; he gets excited when I take his bug bowl out of the enclosure, having learned it usually comes back filled with num-nums.

Figment knows what the cricket shaker sounds like and comes running when he hears me unscrewing the top!

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Guinea pigs/cavies go nuts with the sound of crinkling cellophane (like the sound of a vegetable wrapper).

All the food-related stuff is basic Pavlov... I'm curious what the future may bring with other kinds of stimuli... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom