All Puffed Up and No Place to Go

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

All Puffed Up and No Place to Go

Postby ComicBookMama » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:40 pm

Hey all -

Figment did something really weird last night. He was lying in his hammock, nothing going on, when suddenly he puffed his body up like a balloon and flashed his beard a couple of times. I went over to see what was wrong, and he “deflated” and didn’t flash his beard again. What’s up with that?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 Bearded Dragons - Figment
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: All Puffed Up and No Place to Go

Postby Aaradimian » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:23 pm

I call that the "flex". Sometimes they just do that. As long as his beard wasn't black, I wouldn't worry about it.
Last edited by Aaradimian on Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaradimian
Juvie Poster

Postby NibblezBeardie » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:01 pm

Yeah Nibbles does that sometimes.
“A fat Beardie is a happy Beardie!”
NibblezBeardie
Hatchling Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:45 am

ComicBookMama wrote:Figment did something really weird last night. He was lying in his hammock, nothing going on, when suddenly he puffed his body up like a balloon and flashed his beard a couple of times. I went over to see what was wrong, and he “deflated” and didn’t flash his beard again. What’s up with that?

Well...you did name him Figment. :lol:

All of our pets have done weird stuff. They're weird. Was--perchance--the TV on and within his view? An open window? Another animal?

I'm just wondering if he may have seen/heard/smelled something--that we lowly humans would ignore/not notice--that set him off?
MrSpectrum
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby ComicBookMama » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:58 pm

MrSpectrum wrote:
ComicBookMama wrote:Figment did something really weird last night. He was lying in his hammock, nothing going on, when suddenly he puffed his body up like a balloon and flashed his beard a couple of times. I went over to see what was wrong, and he “deflated” and didn’t flash his beard again. What’s up with that?

Well...you did name him Figment. :lol:

All of our pets have done weird stuff. They're weird. Was--perchance--the TV on and within his view? An open window? Another animal?

I'm just wondering if he may have seen/heard/smelled something--that we lowly humans would ignore/not notice--that set him off?

No, he was facing the back corner of his tank... not even a reflection to react to! Just bare wall. I keep coming back to thinking, “He was half asleep and reacted to a dream!” - but I’ve no clue if that’s even possible... weird indeed! :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:57 am

ComicBookMama wrote:I keep coming back to thinking, “He was half asleep and reacted to a dream!” - but I’ve no clue if that’s even possible... weird indeed! :)

I think the jury's still out on that one, but they have been documented experiencing REM, so mmm... could be.

Australian bearded dragons experience deep sleep, dreams, scientists say

Despite the suggestive title, the opening ¶ actually says, "Research ... indicates the reptiles may dream"
MrSpectrum
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby ComicBookMama » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:35 pm

MrSpectrum wrote:
Australian bearded dragons experience deep sleep, dreams, scientists say

Despite the suggestive title, the opening ¶ actually says, "Research ... indicates the reptiles may dream"

Wow, I did NOT know that... fascinating! I wonder what they dream about? Going to read that article as soon as I have a free minute! :study:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
1.0 dogs - Ariel
1.0 cats - Skimble
1.0 husband
1.0 son
ComicBookMama
Juvie Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:38 am

ComicBookMama wrote:I wonder what they dream about?

DW & I had that same discussion. Basking? Eating Num-nums? Pooping? Running away from the giant hand? Sleeping? (Hmmm... Dreaming about sleeping... kinda Inception-esque). :roll:

So far, that's about the limit of Zardoz' 8 week life experience.
MrSpectrum
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Behavior