Windows in Beardie's Room

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Windows in Beardie's Room

Postby reiddragons » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:19 pm

Hi,

My beardie's tank is in a room where sunlight shines in. My beardie gets UVB from a light above his tank, as well as heat. However, sunlight can shine in from one of the windows.

I don't need or rely on the external sunlight for heat or UV, but I do want to be sure the extra light isn't going to cause my beardie any harm - it won't, for example, result in cancer? I know this may seem like an exaggeration, but I sadly lost a beardie to tumors, the cause of which wasn't identified (the vet theorized it was genetics), and I want to be sure I'm not accidentally causing beardie skin cancer or something with my little buddy.
reiddragons
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Windows in Beardie's Room

Postby claudiusx » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:26 pm

Hi there,

Glass (windows) block uvb radiation so you wouldn't want to rely on windows to provide that anyways :)

There is no issue with windows as long as they dont cause your tank to overheat from the sun shinning through it. :)

Sorry to hear about your other dragon :(

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

Re: Windows in Beardie's Room

Postby reiddragons » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:29 pm

claudiusx wrote:Hi there,

Glass (windows) block uvb radiation so you wouldn't want to rely on windows to provide that anyways :)

There is no issue with windows as long as they dont cause your tank to overheat from the sun shinning through it. :)

Sorry to hear about your other dragon :(

-Brandon

Thank you. She was my first, and I loved her as dearly as I love my current little guy. I was already super-vigilant about my care, and this helps me know I'm doing everything well for my little baby boy.
reiddragons
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures