New Beardie stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al6911

Today marks Dovahh's second week home with me. I very quickly learned that gut loading BSFL is making my entire basement smell, so I'm going to switch to dubias. In total, he has eaten maybe a cup of greens and maybe 15 BSFL, 2 hornworms, and 2 superworms. On just about the first week mark, he began sleeping a lot more. I took this as brumation, he is just over a year old after all. 3 days ago, he woke up for two days, ran around, acted like a wild man, and is back to trying to sleep. When he was awake, he suddenly acted terrified of me. Earlier, he would let me pet him and even "hold" his hand (I just gently set my finger on his paw). Now, he panics when I'm nearby. Maybe its just because he forgot about me when he was asleep?
On a happier note- I received a free mini pillowpet from a wholesale company, and gave it to Dovahh. He loves to sit on it!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The bsfl is usually fine if kept in the container they arrive in. You don’t need to gut load them unless you are feeding them to raise them. Dubias will be good to add to the diet anyway. Variety is good. Hopefully His behavior is hormonal and will eventually subside.

Al6911

Original Poster
I don't know. Honestly, I'm at a loss. Dovahh seems to go in and out of periods he seems to want to brumate, then wakes up and acts like a wild man. I can't get him to eat BSFL or waxworms to save my life. And, naturally, the shipment of dubias got delayed. I'm trying really hard, but he isn't budging. Finally, I got him to eat some turnip greens and a bit of snap pea. I never thought I would have trouble getting an otherwise healthy beardie to eat. His cool side is maybe 3* higher than I would like it, so I kept the cage door open for a minute (I was standing in front of it). It cooled down just fine. I want to help him, and if he didn't keep waking up and running everywhere, I would just assume his hunger was linked to brumation. He hasn't gone to the bathroom yet either, so I have no fecal sample to test. I'm worried I'm doing something wrong. I read this site, and many other, care guides, I have a reptisun t5 10.0 HO tube lighting. He is in a nice large cage with lots to climb on. Has a basking of 95-98, warm side of 90-85, depending on where he sits, and his cool side is usually around 75-79. NIghttime temps usually coast around 74-75. Does anyone have tips to get him eating?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, you don't need to gutload the BSFL at all. I don't feed them at all unless I am trying to get them larger sized.

Your setup sounds fine. Could you post a picture of it for us?

Relocation stress really can take awhile to settle down sometimes. My Tombo didn't have his full appetite back until week 3. They all react differently, truthfully.

Sometimes, letting things be is the best solution. Sometimes us worrying and trying to be proactive can make their stress worse depending on what exactly we are doing to be "proactive" if that makes sense :)

You're doing everything fine, just keep giving him some time :)

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you copy and paste the XIMG code it's easier :)

full

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom