Not an RI, Abscess & Jaw Fracture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was just thinking about Pan last night. Thanks for the update.

I'm glad his jaw seems to be lining up better now.
I like AHBD's suggestion about the slurry. You could try really small bits of salad though and just see how it goes. Does he seem to at least be getting decent nutrition lately?

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

How is Pan doing? I hope he is feeling better, he sure is hanging in there.
I am so happy that his jaw is healing up & isn't hurting him too much. I think the slurry is a
great idea so he doesn't have to do any unnecessary chewing. Is he still able to eat his
worms pretty well also?

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry I went MIA again, I had some personal issues going on.

Pancake's vet appointment yesterday went well, he was very calm the whole car ride there and at the vet's office. But more importantly... The abscess has gone down!!! :blob5: I have to supervise him for the next two weeks to make sure his breathing stays normal. He hasn't gained any weight, but his weight has stayed the same. I think he might be getting too used to syringe feeding, he ate a bowl of Repashy, but only if I put it on a spoon for him. If it's in the bowl he wont touch it :roll:

Here are the pictures I wanted to upload last week:

This is his jaw from the front. If you look at the tip of his nose and his chin you can see it's lined up a lot better than it was last month.
96854-9719676701.jpg

Side view of the fracture. That scab that was along his gum line Pan got rid of himself somehow.
96854-7266988195.jpg

Here he is taking some cilantro for the first time in months
96854-1542402520.jpg

And as for the mention on the vegetable slurry, I have been begging my mom to let me use the blender. She isn't going for it so far because the blender needs a minimum amount of food in it, which is above what Pancake eats and it would be a waste of food. Do you know of any decently priced blenders that work well for making beardie slurries? Otherwise, he seems to be happy with his Repashy right now. He's still eating his worms without any problems.

The last picture for you guys, is Pancake sending a blep for all of the support you've given him.
96854-8232649788.jpg

I'm beyond happy that he's getting better!! It's so nice to see him running around and getting up to his shenanigans again.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

What an amazing update! We forgive you for going MIA as long as you come back with updates like that! :mrgreen:
That is such great news for pan I'm happy for you two. Great progress!

That last picture is awesome, I love it.

-Brandon

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":35ogw48x said:
Hi there,

What an amazing update! We forgive you for going MIA as long as you come back with updates like that! :mrgreen:
That is such great news for pan I'm happy for you two. Great progress!

That last picture is awesome, I love it.

-Brandon

He's a little fighter for sure!

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Love the blep pic! I bought a little $15 blender (looks like a nutribullet knockoff) that may be the sort of thing you're looking for. It's made by Hamilton Beach, and it was with the regular blenders at Walmart.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a great update for Pancake, he is doing so well! :D
It looks like his jaw is healing up nicely. Since he is active & eating pretty good he must
be feeling a lot better.
I was going to suggest a mini food processor, or that magic bullit too to help process the foods
for him.

Keep us posted on his progress.

Tracie

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
JumpinJellyfish":2jfrjtd8 said:
Love the blep pic! I bought a little $15 blender (looks like a nutribullet knockoff) that may be the sort of thing you're looking for. It's made by Hamilton Beach, and it was with the regular blenders at Walmart.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

I bought some escarole and try giving him a normal sized piece, he was able to chew it okay so I don't think I'll have to rip them into tiny pieces. Although, he doesn't particularly want to eat his veggies; I'm not sure if this is because he's been spoiled with getting to eat a lot of hornworms and silks, or if it has to do with him still not feeling well. Pancake has started to eat Repashy grub pie on his own (he won't touch the veggie burger one). In terms of activity he seems very up and down, two days ago he was wandering around his terrarium, but yesterday he didn't come out of his cave AT ALL until I got home from class (7PM), then he was suddenly running around like a rocket and had this massive appetite. It was strange.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi guys,

Unfortunately Pancake has taken a turn for the worse. He went off his food again, so he has been syringe fed again along with insects. Now he wont eat bugs. His weight has dropped and Im trying very hard to get his weight back up but he's resisting the syringe feeding. I've also been giving him water via syringe. His breathing was crackling and popping again, I've been bathing him more in shallow water and that seems to have cleared it up. He mostly just sleeps. The issue with his eye getting stuck closed due to the abscess is awful, it wont open and Ive been trying the eyedrops that have worked everytime before but now they arent. I read somewhere about a chamomille tea bag helping, any advice on that? Im honestly completely lost on what to do. I feel like his weight needs to be improved before he has any tests done, his fat pads are not looking good. Im torn between taking him to the vet and trying to help him or trying to find a reputable rescue center to give him another chance. I love him so much and I cant stand seeing him in this condition. My mom was saying if I take him to the vet he'd go back on antibiotics, which she's saying would be too hard on his system given how long he was on it for the abscess the first time around. Do you guys think it would be too much on him? But wouldnt the rescue center need to do the same thing? Im so sorry if this is hard to follow, I just really need advice.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, that's too bad for you + Pancake ! Can you post current pics of his body size and of his eye ? The chamomile tea bag can sometimes reduce a swelling, you would boil it or just heat up in a microwave, let it cool a while + apply it while it's semi-warm. I'm not sure about antibiotics but if his R.I is back that may be your only option. Don't soak him too often now + be sure to do it early enough in the day that he has enough time to dry off completely under his heat lamp [ after you pat him dry ] before lights go out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Pancake, he has been doing so well!
The chamomile tea bag does have some healing properties, yes. As suggested, be sure it
isn't too warm before placing it on his eye.
How long was he on the antibiotics, previously, total time? Do you have probiotics that you
could start him on if you put him back on antibiotics?
You could consider doing nebulizer treatments on him, instead.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was going to post pictures after work, but it's with an extremely heavy and broken heart that I have to say my baby Pancake passed away this afternoon. I think the abscess was leaking again at a worse rate than before and he couldnt handle it this time. I want to thank all of you once again for your advice, willingness to help, and your love sent to Pancake for the last few months. This entire website has been amazing, and I'm glad I was able to at least give Pan the happiness he deserved for at least part of his life. If any of you happen to know of reputable bearded dragon rescues in Ontario, Canada, please let me know as I would like to donate the rest of the Pan-Fund to them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that Pancake passed away. :cry: That is so awful, poor thing.
He sure was a trooper & was really strong in trying to recover. He was not alone & I'm glad
that he had you helping him through everything.
I am deeply sorry for your loss.
We do have a lot of members up in Canada so someone may know of a rescue facility in your
area.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom