Debate for bio active set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Hello guys for those of you who have a bio active set up, 1. Do you love it ? And 2. Is it worth it? I would love to see pics and hear your pros and cons, the same for those who do not have bio active set ups as well. I have a bio active set up right now for Yeti sibling Noodle (he’s a kingsnake) I’m not sure if I want to change Yeti’s enclosure to one.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you’re comfortable setting it up and maintaining it and you have enough space in the enclosure to do it properly it can be a good option. The dragons that have good ones tend to do well. A lot of folks use a solid substrate because it is easier to keep clean and maintain. The dragons do well with this too. I have a tile substrate because my tank is only 36x18x18. I would consider bioactive if I had something like 48x24x48 or larger.

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":36pzmqub said:
If you’re comfortable setting it up and maintaining it and you have enough space in the enclosure to do it properly it can be a good option. The dragons that have good ones tend to do well. A lot of folks use a solid substrate because it is easier to keep clean and maintain. The dragons do well with this too. I have a tile substrate because my tank is only 36x18x18. I would consider bioactive if I had something like 48x24x48 or larger.

That’s helpful my tank is 36x18x24. I guess it would make the tank kinda small

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think the big thing to consider is height because the bioactive layers will take up vertical space. In my opinion it’s best reserved for the larger enclosures for the most part.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Personally I think they are cool. We have a member here who has a very nice bioactive setup:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=251261

I can definitely see myself at least trying it one day. Whether or not it's something that I end up liking once I'm doing it myself is to be determined.

However, it does seem like the dragons get a lot of enrichment from the setups.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
More bother and effort ( to set up and maintain ) than they are worth for a arid zone reptile like a bearded dragon.

Good for anoles, geckos, frogs, freshwater turtles, skinks , not such a good idea IMO for bearded dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom