what reptisun 24-inch t5 or t8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clay86

Hi, I'm hoping you guy's can help me. I want to get a reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb for my girl and I am at a loss as to the size she needs. I have her in a 40g breeder tank and was thinking of getting the t8 repisun UVB 10.0 bulb. the issue is though with that I also am running into trouble finding the right fixture for it since I was looking into getting the 24-inch bulb to mount it in the tank under the lid. or would I be better off getting the t5 bulb that can sit on the wire lid? also, I have read people saying they got there fixture from Walmart but the stores near me don't carry that fixture for the t8 they are all LED with no removable bulbs. any help would be great thanks guys

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

It's totally up to you which to get.
If you get the t5 and mount it on the mesh, it should be around 9 inches from the basking site.
If you get the t8, it will need to be 6-8 inches from the basking site inside the tank. So this might mean you need to lower your basking site if it's already tall.

Personally I'd go with the t5 ontop of the mesh.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
www.pangeareptiles.com carries them or try your local petsmart or petco and get a 24" -- you can use either the T 8 or T 5 in that fixture --do not get one the same length of your tank -- he needs to be able to escape the rays of the UVB if he does not want to sit under it and you dont want him hiding from it
Karrie

Clay86

Original Poster
Ok, when you say that the bulb has to be away from the basking area by several inches do you mean from her or just from the basking bulb? also since I have a 40gallon tank and since it shouldn't be the size of the tank would a 24-inch bulb be too big for it? my tank size is

Length 36.19 IN
Volume 40 GAL
Height 18.25 IN
Width 16.94 IN

Here is a link to the tank I have.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/zilla-critter-cage
thanks, guys for the help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You would have 12 inches not covered by the UVB-- which is fine-- if you decide to upgrade to bigger tank the 24" would be good-- I would use the T 5 bulb so you can put it on top of screen -- making getting into tank more accessible- it also would need to be 6-8 inches from basking spot-- so you need your decor under it
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It means that needs to be the distance from the dragon to bulb while basking for the dragon to get the proper exposure. The further from the bulb, the weaker the uv gets. So to provide the proper uv at the basking site, you need it to be the recommended distance from the basking site for your bulb.
And those distances are what I mentioned earlier :)

-Brandon

Clay86

Original Poster
ok, great thanks guys. also correct me if I'm wrong but I was looking just now at the t5 bulbs and it seems they only are 22 inches, not 24? the next size up is 34inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom