Coconut fiber substrate

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Coconut fiber substrate

Postby flowerfarming » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:08 pm

Hello! My bearded dragon is about 10 months old going into off and on brumation. I recently changed his substrate to a mix of coconut fiber and repti-bark large pieces. He seems to love it and thrive in it. I monitor where and what he eats to make sure 100% he doesn't consume any. He loves burrowing and digging in it and burying himself. I know everyone is controversial about loose particle substrate but I think its good because I want him to have enrichment, I am concerned about coconut fiber because some people said it is not good for them? Does anyone have a loose substrate suggestion for me? I want him to have the best life. I'm thinking about a bioactive terrarium for him, but his cage doesn't have PVC panels so I can't do that yet.
flowerfarming
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Coconut fiber substrate

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:11 pm

Please get rid of the coconut fiber -- last I heard it causes RI from the dust--- I dont really know of any good loose substrate --- too much risk of impaction -here is what is recommended for laying females
Dig Box-- playsand, a mix of playsand and vermiculite, or potting soil that doesn't have any fertilizers or other junk in it.
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

Postby flowerfarming » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:13 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Please get rid of the coconut fiber -- last I heard it causes RI from the dust--- I dont really know of any good loose substrate --- too much risk of impaction -here is what is recommended for laying females
Dig Box-- playsand, a mix of playsand and vermiculite, or potting soil that doesn't have any fertilizers or other junk in it.
Karrie

OH MY GOD IM TAKING IT OUT RIGHT NOW. i feel horrible i don't want him to get a respritory infection oh my gosh!!!! :(
flowerfarming
Newbie Poster

Postby claudiusx » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:33 pm

Moved by Moderator from General to Enclosures
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

Postby MrSpectrum » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:33 am

You mentioned "he" and "his" so a dig box shouldn't be necessary.

I agree that particulate substrates should be avoided; see The Best (And Safest) Substrates for Bearded Dragons. Many of us consider ceramic/stone tile the best choice, though not the only good choice. Larger tiles (without using grout) have many advantages over small grouted tiles.

IMO, bioactive for a beaded dragon doesn't make sense (coming from someone--me--who thought it was a neat idea until I researched further and thought it through). BDs come from an arid/desert environment--not a humid/tropical environment where bioactive makes sense. The risks (RI) from too much humidity, and impaction/other problems from the particulate substrate aren't IMO worth it.
MrSpectrum
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures