Poor Cold Dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went away overnight yesterday, leaving Figment with a dish of BSFL for munching on and lights on a timer. Came back today to find my poor dragon on the "cool" side of the tank, trying hard to bask under his incandescent bulb because the stupid basking bulb had blown out - AGAIN! This is the third time in three months, likely because I'm using a mini dome fixture with a wattage ceiling of 100w and a 100w bulb in it. Stupid me. Ran straight out to Petco to get a replacement bulb and to Tractor Supply Co. to get a brooder lamp, but both were already closed. Ran back home, found a spare basking bulb (thank goodness I always keep a spare tucked away) and an old dome fixture that should have a wattage ceiling of over 100w. It's not a ceramic base, so I don't want to use it for long, but it was more important to me to get some heat on Figment. Here's my poor boy, pancaked out on his log hide, sleeping in the warmth!

full

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If it's NOT ceramic , DON"T USE IT AT ALL for a hot basking bulb.

I can guarantee it will fail almost immediately , and will likely melt or even cause a fire.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Even with a ceramic fixture basking bulbs can fail. Go to a hardware store or find a ceramic fixture online. Hardware store should have screws or other mounting equipment you can use. You should get a ceramic fixture for safety reasons, they are rated for the high heat

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the input... I’ll be getting a ceramic fixture after work today. I definitely know it’s the safest option; thanks for confirming that! I swapped out the non-ceramic dome for my ceramic mini dome that I use on the cool side; it maxes out the wattage, but should be okay for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom