Beardie bite on the finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malygos

My 16 month old beardie bit my finger. Of coarse it broke through the skin, and into my flesh. I mean they have teeth, and they're sharp! The wound is not very big, maybe under half inch, But it was deep. Anyway, I cleaned it right away with hydrogen peroxide. I don't know if I got it cleaned as deep as it goes.
So the question is... Is there anything I should worry about contracting? Should I go to the doctor? He also had just been eating superworms, and dubia roaches.
By the way he is not aggresive at all, it was my fault. I made a stupid decision in a moment of panic and paid the price for it. Which will be discussed in another post.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
I think just keep it clean, put neosporin/triple antibiotic on it, cover with bandaid, and you should be fine. Things that are transmissible are usually via contact with feces.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Malygos":yfk3szwy said:
So the question is... Is there anything I should worry about contracting?
Is a Bearded Dragon's Bite Dangerous to Humans?

Risk of intestinal problems

Even though there is nothing to worry about on being bitten by a bearded dragon, there is one risk that may be a cause of concern. A bearded dragon's mouth is known to carry salmonella bacteria that may be transferred to humans on being bitten. This may lead to serious intestinal problems. Thus, in such cases, it becomes necessary to scrub your hands with hot water and use an anti-bacterial soap before and after you have handled the lizard in order to avoid infection. In this case, you may even require a tetanus shot, if you have not taken it in the past 5 years.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Just put a cloth fabric Elastoplast on it and change the dressing daily if needed and it'll heal up just fine in a week or two.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

You will be just fine, especially with washing it and using hydrogen peroxide. The HP would have ate into the skin deep enough so dont worry about that.

It's really not too concerning just watch for signs of infection like you would with any scrape or cut. :)
Honestly it's nothing to worry about :)

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Try calling your vet. They may have more information on hand than your doctor's office about a bearded dragon bite. You can also call your doctor's office and leave a message with a nurse or on-call provider. The office will check if you have any immunizations due and they might have standing orders for pet bites based on your medical history, internet people can't make the call here.

Kingofnobbys is on point with Elastoplast or any flexible fabric-style breathable bandage is good for small wounds on the hand. A small dab of Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment. Shower as normal, let area air dry completely before applying a bandage again to avoid the skin from becoming water saturated, 20 minutes is a good amount of time usually.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
DorgEndo":x6n4vdtt said:
Try calling your vet. They may have more information on hand than your doctor's office about a bearded dragon bite. You can also call your doctor's office and leave a message with a nurse or on-call provider. The office will check if you have any immunizations due and they might have standing orders for pet bites based on your medical history, internet people can't make the call here.

Kingofnobbys is on point with Elastoplast or any flexible fabric-style breathable bandage is good for small wounds on the hand. A small dab of Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment. Shower as normal, let area air dry completely before applying a bandage again to avoid the skin from becoming water saturated, 20 minutes is a good amount of time usually.
+1--what he & kingofnobbys said. In addition to signs of infection, watch for any digestive/gut symptoms.

[Non sequitur]
Had to look up "Elastoplast"; Here we have "Band-aid"s--both are brand names for pretty much the same thing.

Regardless of who originated it (Shaw, Wilde, Churchill, etc.) I'm always amused & fascinated by the observation of great nations (USA, Canada, G.B. & Australia in this case) divided by a common language. :lol:
[/Non sequitur]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom