Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hey Everyone!

Just got my little beardie Drogon a month ago. He loves to explore, but has a habit of being like a hyper little kid.
What's that? Touch/lick this run run run. Jump off mom's shoulder etc.
I would feel safer if he's leash trained so he can explore more. The first time I put his harness on, he gave me this scathing beardie look and wriggled around like a snake. I immediately took it off, but I would like to get into the practice of leash training him.

Any ideas, tips, or tricks are welcome :)

Selkie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd not be restraining a dragon with leash and harness.

Too much risk of injury , too stressful to the dragon.

Shoulder surfing is also a very dangerous practice UNLESS you are sitting a lounge, bed, very soft carpet floor or on the grass outside. Don't do it.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
As a safer alternative, how about an outdoor enclosure? There are a couple styles shown in this thread (an octagonal one on the first page, and a rectangular one on the second page), and likely more to be found with a little searching.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
MrSpectrum":3k580wf9 said:
As a safer alternative, how about an outdoor enclosure? There are a couple styles shown in this thread (an octagonal one on the first page, and a rectangular one on the second page), and likely more to be found with a little searching.

Thanks for reaching out!
So right now, it’s very cold and wet in South Carolina, a bad mix for a respiratory infection. Also, we have a lot of active hawks in my area, and because I live in a town home complex, they tend to spray for roaches and fire ants. Maybe one day when he gets a big bigger ill hold him in my lap, but for now Im not comfortable.

If the leash isnt a good idea, how can I keep my beardie safe inside and let him roam? Of course i keep an eye on him, but if you have any enriching ideas, please let me know! :)

Selkie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
kingofnobbys":1vvfj6tf said:
I'd not be restraining a dragon with leash and harness.

Too much risk of injury , too stressful to the dragon.

Shoulder surfing is also a very dangerous practice UNLESS you are sitting a lounge, bed, very soft carpet floor or on the grass outside. Don't do it.

Hi! Thanks for reaching out!
Would the dragon eventually get used to a leash? What can injure them? I certainly dont want to hurt him. With shoulder surfing, is that the snake like movement? He was doing it on the couch. Do you have any other ideas for letting my dragon run around safely?

Selkie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Selkie1993":v147douy said:
MrSpectrum":v147douy said:

Thanks for reaching out!
So right now, it’s very cold and wet in South Carolina, a bad mix for a respiratory infection. Also, we have a lot of active hawks in my area, and because I live in a town home complex, they tend to spray for roaches and fire ants. Maybe one day when he gets a big bigger ill hold him in my lap, but for now Im not comfortable.

If the leash isnt a good idea, how can I keep my beardie safe inside and let him roam? Of course i keep an eye on him, but if you have any enriching ideas, please let me know! :)

Selkie

Supervised free ranging in a beardie proof and safe area of your apartment with access to a view via a window ( through glass ) is very good enrichment for a dragon , mix and change beardie safe objects on the floor for the dragon to check out.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Selkie1993":38kbzpnl said:
If the leash isnt a good idea, how can I keep my beardie safe inside and let him roam? Of course i keep an eye on him
People baby-proof their homes, and puppy & kitten-proof their homes.
Beardie-proof the area of your home where he'll be roaming.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Beardie proofing is easy
> kids in house - make sure no lego blocks left laying about, bigger toys are fine
> vacuum carpet ( make sure no sick roaches or insects roaming about or laying about )
> rolled bath towel or cushions blocking access to under furnature
> block hallways and room accesses with cardboard sheets
…. you get the drift ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom