Bearded Dragon - Young and Not Acting Right, is he dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tealali

Myself and another teacher both got bearded dragons as classroom pets in September. This was my second bearded dragon as my other one died of old age and her first. We both purchased them from different pet stores. However, over the past few weeks they started exhibiting the same symptoms and we didn't realize it was happening to each others bearded dragon. Last week she called me and explain how her bearded dragon was lethargic and refusing to eat. I explain that mine was doing the same thing but I thought it was the stress of being handled so I had stopped letting the kids hold it and it started moving more and more. However, the past two days mine has grown even more lethargic and hers sadly passed away. Mine is still pooping, but it is hardly moving and it is really dark in color and thin.

I have pictures if necessary, but I was wondering if anyone would know what is happening. The first image is her bearded dragon and the second is mine. I never had issues with my prior bearded dragon and I think it is strange that this happened to two bearded dragons at the same time.

106608-2231783397.jpg
106608-8582766060.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They both look terrible ---- please post pics of both tank set ups ---- what are the basking temps and how are you taking them? infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe??? Temps should be 105-110 taken w/ a infrared heat gun or digital probe---- are they eating??? are they basking??? from the pictures it looks like they are very weak--- we need to see the tanks and lighting
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little things. :( It would be good to list the entire tank set up that Karrie asked about because that definitely affects their health. Sadly I do believe the baby is dying, they might have both had atadenovirus [ ADV ] or other disease, parasite load. You can try getting some organic baby food mixed with water and the tiniest pinch of calcium powder[ chicken, green bean squash baby food ] but I doubt there will be a recovery. Still, it's best to try anyway. So sorry for these babies and for you as well.

tealali

Original Poster
106608-8173467936.jpg

The temperature is taken with a digital probe and is in the correct range. My bearded is not really eating and it hasn't basked for the past two days. He did poop yesterday that was grayish.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get some food into him and water -- organic baby food mixed with water and the tiniest pinch of calcium powder[ chicken, green bean squash baby food ] you can syringe feed in small amounts like w/ a 3 cc / ml syringe and make it so its watery consistency so it doesnt plug the end up --- I would do that 3 times a day --- he is weak from not eating --- it may be too late but you can try -- the UVB I am guessing is a coil --- bad bulb incorrect UVB please change it out -- you need a Reptisun 10.0 tube either a T 8 or a T 5 bulb and you need it ASAP--- when you get it let us know what you get so we can tell you distance for bulb in the tank --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

They definitely look like they are on the brink.

tealali":dmpcppav said:
The temperature is taken with a digital probe and is in the correct range.
And what is it? We need to know the details so that we can help you make necessary adjustments.

We want to help but we need to know the basic details to be able to offer assistance.

Basking SURFACE temp?
What type of uvb bulb you are using?
What do you offer them for a diet? Specifics please.

Does the dragon stay in the classroom overnight?
Is it possible any harsh chemicals are used in the classroom by the janitorial staff?

In the picture you posted, it's the middle of the day and it looks like all the lights are off in the tank? Is there a reason for this?

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor little one, he definitely does not look good at all. How is he doing today?
Is there any way that you can take him home with you so he can get more care
than sitting up at the school alone overnight?
Have you gotten any food into him at all?

Let us know how he is doing & please review your tank setup with us, too.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom