What's Up With My Bearded Dragon's Eating/Digestive Habits??

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

What's Up With My Bearded Dragon's Eating/Digestive Habits??

Postby Selkie1993 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:05 am

[Click image to enlarge]
Hi Everyone!
New beardie owner. Please see Drogon's previous conditions and current ones here.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=251767

In the last week, Drogon's feeding habits have been on and off. Usually, he eats 20 crickets but lately it's been reduced.

Here is what happened this morning:
1) Drogon's poop was a bit watery. Sorry, I wish I took a picture, but it essentially looked like very watery poop and urate. I wouldn't label it as diarrhea.

2) His poop has been STINKY lately. Yes, I know it's poop but it can be pretty rank.

3) Today, since I didn't have greens, I gave him some roasted sweet potato chunks with a bit of green pepper (his fave) along with 1-2 mealworms (only gets these 1-2x a week, have reduced it since I heard they're hard to digest) 1-2 waxworms and 5 calciworms. This is usually an appetizer for him lol. When I offered him crickets, he only had 1-2 and just watched them run around his feeding tank. He was active and curious, but just didn't seem in the mood to eat. Okay, that's fine. I heard they go through some habits now and again.

4) When I looked on the underside of his vent, he had some poo that seems to be stuck in the vent. It's not liquidy, but more crusted? (sorry, this is gross :cry: ) i sprayed a napkin and tried to gently rub it away with little success.

Also, he just had a 10-15 minute bath last night.


What's going on with him? Is he sick, semi-brumation, just not in the mood, parasites?? He's acting completely normal: basking, checking stuff out, active and curious.
Any help or advice would be appreciated. Here are some pics so you can check him out as well.

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: What's Up With My Bearded Dragon's Eating/Digestive Habi

Postby claudiusx » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:53 pm

Hi Selkie! :)

Is Drogon shedding, or beginning to shed? In the pictures it looks like he is graying out.
If this is the case, it perfectly explains every single one of your concerns.

Shedding can be quite annoying for them. They typically have a decrease in appetite, a change in stool consistency, and a tendency for it to be stinkier.

The poo on the underside of the vent is most likely just from the looser stools he's been having lately. It's likely just some staining that will come off with his next shed.

Selkie1993 wrote:What's going on with him? Is he sick, semi-brumation, just not in the mood, parasites?? He's acting completely normal: basking, checking stuff out, active and curious.

You said it yourself :)
Sometimes as worried beardie parents, we look too deep into things and create a problem in our heads that isn't really there. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts. The hardest thing to do, is just take a deep breath and relax, and realize that things are ok :)
It's always good to check and ask though, we are all still learning about these guys anyways :D

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 16497
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: What's Up With My Bearded Dragon's Eating/Digestive Habi

Postby Drache613 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:52 pm

Hello,

He looks good & seems to be doing better than previously. I agree, he is probably going
to shed which can be stressful for them. Is he spending enough time basking in order to
digest properly?
You could think about adding a probiotic to his nutritional menu a few times a week to see
if that may help. How often do you feed him fruit or do you give fruit at all? Too much sugar
can cause digestive issues for them. Mango & papaya in small amounts can be given a few
times per week since they both contain digestive enzymes that are often used in most if not
all probiotics.

Tracie
User avatar
Drache613
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 38948
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: May, Texas

Re: What's Up With My Bearded Dragon's Eating/Digestive Habi

Postby Selkie1993 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:05 am

claudiusx wrote:Hi Selkie! :)

Is Drogon shedding, or beginning to shed? In the pictures it looks like he is graying out.
If this is the case, it perfectly explains every single one of your concerns.

Shedding can be quite annoying for them. They typically have a decrease in appetite, a change in stool consistency, and a tendency for it to be stinkier.

The poo on the underside of the vent is most likely just from the looser stools he's been having lately. It's likely just some staining that will come off with his next shed.

Selkie1993 wrote:What's going on with him? Is he sick, semi-brumation, just not in the mood, parasites?? He's acting completely normal: basking, checking stuff out, active and curious.

You said it yourself :)
Sometimes as worried beardie parents, we look too deep into things and create a problem in our heads that isn't really there. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts. The hardest thing to do, is just take a deep breath and relax, and realize that things are ok :)
It's always good to check and ask though, we are all still learning about these guys anyways :D

-Brandon


Hi Brandon :)
Thanks for writing back. Yes, he's been a little gray, so I gave him a bath but no shed yet! I just get a little paranoid because I lost my cat this year, so it kind of puts me into a mini crisis mode when I notice anything "off" with my pets.
Thanks for the reassurance :)
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: What's Up With My Bearded Dragon's Eating/Digestive Habi

Postby Selkie1993 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:08 am

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

He looks good & seems to be doing better than previously. I agree, he is probably going
to shed which can be stressful for them. Is he spending enough time basking in order to
digest properly?
You could think about adding a probiotic to his nutritional menu a few times a week to see
if that may help. How often do you feed him fruit or do you give fruit at all? Too much sugar
can cause digestive issues for them. Mango & papaya in small amounts can be given a few
times per week since they both contain digestive enzymes that are often used in most if not
all probiotics.

Tracie


Hi Tracie!
Thanks for responding. Drogon hasn't shed yet, but he loves to bask regardless. When he's done eating and acting like a lazy boy, I place him in the hammock so he can bask for a few hours. Actually, he just started eating fruit two days ago, and I only use it as an incentive when he's not into greens. Raspberry seems to be his favorite :) I only give him one berry.

I was trying to find more on shedding in my books. Why is it considered stressful? Is it just uncomfortable? hormonal changes?

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

UPDATE

Postby Selkie1993 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:09 am

Drogon still hasn't shed yet but remains grey. Always loves basking because he's quite lazy :lol:
Ate his normal 20 crickets and BSFL so I guess he's feeling a bit better. He's super sweet and I love him, but he's a fuss when it comes to food. :blob8:

I'll post any pics of shedding starts to occur!

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: What's Up With My Bearded Dragon's Eating/Digestive Habi

Postby MrSpectrum » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:18 am

FWIW, Zardoz has been having watery poops lately--after shedding. I speculated it may have been some after-effect of getting a bath, but it's been a couple/3 days since the bath & shedding, and it's still watery.

I'm not terribly concerned (but DW is starting to get more attached than myself, and wanted me to ask/look into it); the stool & urates are firm & normal--they're just accompanied by more water than usual. No changes/irregularities in diet.
User avatar
MrSpectrum
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:10 am

Re: What's Up With My Bearded Dragon's Eating/Digestive Habi

Postby Selkie1993 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:52 am

MrSpectrum wrote:FWIW, Zardoz has been having watery poops lately--after shedding. I speculated it may have been some after-effect of getting a bath, but it's been a couple/3 days since the bath & shedding, and it's still watery.

I'm not terribly concerned (but DW is starting to get more attached than myself, and wanted me to ask/look into it); the stool & urates are firm & normal--they're just accompanied by more water than usual. No changes/irregularities in diet.


Hey there :)
Im fairly new to beardie keeping but you may want to create a new health post that has your terrarium specs/heating/setup so the mods can rule out any potential problems. They are fantastic here!
Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: What's Up With My Bearded Dragon's Eating/Digestive Habi

Postby MrSpectrum » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:24 pm

Selkie1993 wrote:Hey there :)
Im fairly new to beardie keeping but you may want to create a new health post that has your terrarium specs/heating/setup so the mods can rule out any potential problems. They are fantastic here!
Selkie

Well, excuse the poop outta me! :?
You asked a question, and I responded by way of a related anecdote/situation. Sorry if it wasn't the kind of answer you were looking for.

If there's anybody here that doesn't know my enclosure specs & setup by now, then... I think maybe you're the anybody! :lol:
User avatar
MrSpectrum
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:10 am

Re: What's Up With My Bearded Dragon's Eating/Digestive Habi

Postby Selkie1993 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:20 pm

MrSpectrum wrote:
Selkie1993 wrote:Hey there :)
Im fairly new to beardie keeping but you may want to create a new health post that has your terrarium specs/heating/setup so the mods can rule out any potential problems. They are fantastic here!
Selkie

Well, excuse the poop outta me! :?
You asked a question, and I responded by way of a related anecdote/situation. Sorry if it wasn't the kind of answer you were looking for.

If there's anybody here that doesn't know my enclosure specs & setup by now, then... I think maybe you're the anybody! :lol:



Lol relax. I meant no disrespect and was only trying to help :lol: And I'm not only new but don't memorize everyone's setup :lol: :lol:

Cheers!
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Health

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users