Leash Training Tips

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

Leash Training Tips

Postby Selkie1993 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:46 pm

Hey Everyone!

Just got my little beardie Drogon a month ago. He loves to explore, but has a habit of being like a hyper little kid.
What's that? Touch/lick this run run run. Jump off mom's shoulder etc.
I would feel safer if he's leash trained so he can explore more. The first time I put his harness on, he gave me this scathing beardie look and wriggled around like a snake. I immediately took it off, but I would like to get into the practice of leash training him.

Any ideas, tips, or tricks are welcome :)

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Leash Training Tips

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:54 pm

I'd not be restraining a dragon with leash and harness.

Too much risk of injury , too stressful to the dragon.

Shoulder surfing is also a very dangerous practice UNLESS you are sitting a lounge, bed, very soft carpet floor or on the grass outside. Don't do it.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, juvenile Cheakie (M) 21Oct19
Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11014
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: Leash Training Tips

Postby MrSpectrum » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:41 am

As a safer alternative, how about an outdoor enclosure? There are a couple styles shown in this thread (an octagonal one on the first page, and a rectangular one on the second page), and likely more to be found with a little searching.
User avatar
MrSpectrum
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:10 am

Re: Leash Training Tips

Postby Selkie1993 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:38 am

MrSpectrum wrote:As a safer alternative, how about an outdoor enclosure? There are a couple styles shown in this thread (an octagonal one on the first page, and a rectangular one on the second page), and likely more to be found with a little searching.



Thanks for reaching out!
So right now, it’s very cold and wet in South Carolina, a bad mix for a respiratory infection. Also, we have a lot of active hawks in my area, and because I live in a town home complex, they tend to spray for roaches and fire ants. Maybe one day when he gets a big bigger ill hold him in my lap, but for now Im not comfortable.

If the leash isnt a good idea, how can I keep my beardie safe inside and let him roam? Of course i keep an eye on him, but if you have any enriching ideas, please let me know! :)

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Leash Training Tips

Postby Selkie1993 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:43 am

kingofnobbys wrote:I'd not be restraining a dragon with leash and harness.

Too much risk of injury , too stressful to the dragon.

Shoulder surfing is also a very dangerous practice UNLESS you are sitting a lounge, bed, very soft carpet floor or on the grass outside. Don't do it.



Hi! Thanks for reaching out!
Would the dragon eventually get used to a leash? What can injure them? I certainly dont want to hurt him. With shoulder surfing, is that the snake like movement? He was doing it on the couch. Do you have any other ideas for letting my dragon run around safely?

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:00 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Leash Training Tips

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:43 am

Selkie1993 wrote:
MrSpectrum wrote:As a safer alternative, how about an outdoor enclosure? There are a couple styles shown in this thread (an octagonal one on the first page, and a rectangular one on the second page), and likely more to be found with a little searching.



Thanks for reaching out!
So right now, it’s very cold and wet in South Carolina, a bad mix for a respiratory infection. Also, we have a lot of active hawks in my area, and because I live in a town home complex, they tend to spray for roaches and fire ants. Maybe one day when he gets a big bigger ill hold him in my lap, but for now Im not comfortable.

If the leash isnt a good idea, how can I keep my beardie safe inside and let him roam? Of course i keep an eye on him, but if you have any enriching ideas, please let me know! :)

Selkie


Supervised free ranging in a beardie proof and safe area of your apartment with access to a view via a window ( through glass ) is very good enrichment for a dragon , mix and change beardie safe objects on the floor for the dragon to check out.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, juvenile Cheakie (M) 21Oct19
Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11014
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: Leash Training Tips

Postby MrSpectrum » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Selkie1993 wrote:If the leash isnt a good idea, how can I keep my beardie safe inside and let him roam? Of course i keep an eye on him

People baby-proof their homes, and puppy & kitten-proof their homes.
Beardie-proof the area of your home where he'll be roaming.
User avatar
MrSpectrum
Sub-Adult Poster
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:10 am

Re: Leash Training Tips

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:05 am

Beardie proofing is easy
> kids in house - make sure no lego blocks left laying about, bigger toys are fine
> vacuum carpet ( make sure no sick roaches or insects roaming about or laying about )
> rolled bath towel or cushions blocking access to under furnature
> block hallways and room accesses with cardboard sheets
…. you get the drift ?
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, juvenile Cheakie (M) 21Oct19
Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 11014
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Behavior

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users