humidity levels Is that a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
It just hit me I’m always concerned about humidity levels for my snake Noodle but not for Yeti my bearded dragon. How to you maintain humidity levels in a plain tank? See for my Noodle I gave him a live tank with soil and I spray it twice a day , soon I’ll be doing the same for Yeti around January.
Also what are the humidity levels suppose to be ? Right now she’s in shed too.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Opinions vary, but the consensus seems to be around 30%-40%.

Humidity Levels for a Bearded Dragon
Complete Guide to Humidity for Bearded Dragons
The Right Humidity Levels For Bearded Dragons? It´s Easy!
How to Easily Lower the Humidity in a Bearded Dragon Tank

I wouldn't spray Yeti's tank unless you have a fool-proof way of lowering the humidity within a very short time--it's not necessary; these are animals who thrive in an arid environment. For that reason, I'm not a fan of bioactive enclosures for BDs. They usually get enough water from their diets (bugs & greens), but an occasional bath may also supplement, and help with shedding. They do not absorb moisture through their skin.

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I never thought to google or ask what people’s opinion was for a bearded dragon to have a live tank, thanks you gave me something to think about and look further into....... I did spray it this morning but it did go back down. I don’t know why it’s not maintainable.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Tasnene":jiy200wy said:
I did spray it this morning but it did go back down. I don’t know why it’s not maintainable.
The humidity? It may be a matter of where you live, the season, the humidity in your home, or if you have plants or some other source of humidity in the tank (like a water dish).

What kind of hygrometer are you using? Check into opinions on that too.

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I’m using one that I bought from the bio dude, its a digital one. I do have a small water dish in her tank. She’s in a big tank about 60 gallon. I live in New York , we have the heater on.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I'd take the water dish out. It's unlikely she's using it (unless she's very unusual) and it will certainly raise the humidity in the enclosure.

If the enclosure is bioactive, that could be raising the humidity as well.

My 7 week old is shedding as we speak--no problems. If any develop, I'll give him a bath to help loosen things up.

60 gal. seems small; 120 gal. (4' x 2' x 2') is recommended if possible.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Tasnene":30f59x3f said:
It’s actually low. I’m sorry I should have said that.
Remember, they are desert creatures, it's supposed to be low :)
What is it at right now?
I definitely wouldn't try to artificially raise the humidity though.

-Brandon

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3tgbl0w9 said:
Tasnene":3tgbl0w9 said:
Remember, they are desert creatures, it's supposed to be low :)
What is it at right now?
I definitely wouldn't try to artificially raise the humidity though.

-Brandon
It’s at 27

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's fine, I wouldn't worry about it. :D
If you want you can keep the water dish, but like mentioned, a lot of times they don't even use it. But, no harm no foul :)

-Brandon

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":k8zdpex8 said:
That's fine, I wouldn't worry about it. :D
If you want you can keep the water dish, but like mentioned, a lot of times they don't even use it. But, no harm no foul :)

-Brandon

Okay it dropped to 17

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Tasnene":2dt2tbxy said:
Paraphrasing Rocket Raccoon, "Awww, now I feel foolish!"

I'm not terribly worried about that either; usually high(er) humidity is the issue with BDs. We're getting into the season of dry humidity in the northeast anyway; how does that compare to the ambient humidity in your home? What are the temperatures in her "tank" (and are we talking about an all-glass enclosure or what?" A photo of the enclosure might be helpful (You can upload one with the User Image Uploader on the menu bar across the top of the page.)

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
OK, in this case spraying down (the tank--not the lizard) in the early morning (think: simulating morning dew) might be enough. The humidity numbers are averages, and what we're going for is simulating (as best we can) the average humidity in the Australian outback. If you check out a map of the continent, Alice Springs is pretty close to the exact center (and where Bearded Dragons go to vacation).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom