Wellness check? What do you think?

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Wellness check? What do you think?

Postby meenie09 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:03 am

Hey everyone!
Sometimes two pairs of eyes are better than one. Does she look healthy? She hasn't been drinking water for the past two days, I have tried misting her, putting little droplets on her nose, bathing her regularly, (2x a week, where she normally drinks her water). Normally I feed her two times a day with crickets, dubia roaches, bsfl and then I always give her access to freshly cut collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, carrots, apples, occasional banana slice etc. She is acting normal, active, she also has a healthy appetite, she goes to the bathroom every day or occasionally skips a day. Maybe I just worry too much, I love her so much. I should add that I am a new retile owner. Any feedback would be awesome. So what do you think? Is her growth rate within normal range?
P.S this is my little princess Kitana , I've had her since September 2019, she is currently "four months old"

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
meenie09
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Wellness check? What do you think?

Postby Ellentomologist » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Hiya,

She looks just fine to me! Maybe the slightest bit thin, but certainly nothing to worry about - she looks very similar to my boy in build.

How old is she? Age can effect how much liquid they need each day quite severely, with growing beardies needing a fair amount, healthy adults needing the least, and some OLD beardies who are starting to suffer from health complications sometimes needing more again. If she's older than a year, it's entirely possible she'll go a few months as a time without drinking, assuming her salads are always fresh and her insects are gut-loaded. So, so long as you're bathing her at least once a week and giving her fresh, high-quality foods, you really don't have to worry too much about dehydration in BDs.

On the other hand, chronic low-level dehydrated is epidemic to Bearded Dragons. It's causally linked to a lot of issues, including impaction and organ issues. If you're concerned, try offering her some high-water content foods every couple days. My go-tos for this are little chunks of water melon and hornworms, both of which Guacemole (my dragon) loves!

Hope that helps,
-Ellen
About me: Lab Manager in CDB studying for graduate school. Keep many invertebrates, reptiles, and amphibians, but only one BD named Guacamole. HUGE DnD and tabletop RPG nerd. Sorry if I post the same info right after someone else does, I tend to open many tabs and not refresh.
Ellentomologist
Hatchling Poster

Postby meenie09 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Ellentomologist wrote:Hiya,

She looks just fine to me! Maybe the slightest bit thin, but certainly nothing to worry about - she looks very similar to my boy in build.

How old is she? Age can effect how much liquid they need each day quite severely, with growing beardies needing a fair amount, healthy adults needing the least, and some OLD beardies who are starting to suffer from health complications sometimes needing more again. If she's older than a year, it's entirely possible she'll go a few months as a time without drinking, assuming her salads are always fresh and her insects are gut-loaded. So, so long as you're bathing her at least once a week and giving her fresh, high-quality foods, you really don't have to worry too much about dehydration in BDs.

On the other hand, chronic low-level dehydrated is epidemic to Bearded Dragons. It's causally linked to a lot of issues, including impaction and organ issues. If you're concerned, try offering her some high-water content foods every couple days. My go-tos for this are little chunks of water melon and hornworms, both of which Guacemole (my dragon) loves!

Hope that helps,
-Ellen

Hey there! Thank you for the feedback, She is around four months old right now. I'm Hoping she is staying hydrated with the veggies, but I will definitely keep the watermelon and hornworms in mind! I was not aware about some of the information you have shared, thank you again for that!
meenie09
Newbie Poster

Postby Drache613 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Moved by Moderator from General to Health
Drache613

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:54 am

She's fine.

Keep your money , no need to take her to a vet if here is not even the slightest indication of a health problem.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, juvenile Cheakie (M) 21Oct19
Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby claudiusx » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:05 pm

Based off your description I agree, she sounds healthy! :)

As long as your husbandry is in order and her diet is good (which it looks like it is) you should be set :)
We can go over your husbandry with you if you'd like, for peace of mind :)

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health