Tiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!

I am in the process of getting some tiles for my beardie's enclosure. I have a 40 Gallon Breeder.

As you know, the dimensions are 36" long by 18" deep. Could I just buy 2 18x18 tiles, and would they fit? My local home improvement store doesn't cut tiles, so I want to make sure they would actually fit. Has anyone had any experience with fitting 2 18x18 tiles in a 40G Breeder?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I used five 12x24 tiles in my 5x2x2 enclosure. The inside dimensions are 60"x24½" (I wanted a little space to be able to remove them if/when necessary). When I opened the tiles, they were actually (something like) 23¾ x 11¾ to allow for grout. After putting the tiles in, I actually had some space left over, and filled it with strips of wood to take up the slack. I wound up with a perfect fit. :)

My suggestion would be to measure the inside of your 40 gal. very carefully, then try to find the actual (rather than nominal or advertised) size of the tiles. As long as they're a smidge (it's an industry term) smaller than the inside dimensions of the tank, you should be fine.

JohnVLillywhite

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":3upmc94v said:
I used five 12x24 tiles in my 5x2x2 enclosure. The inside dimensions are 60"x24½" (I wanted a little space to be able to remove them if/when necessary). When I opened the tiles, they were actually (something like) 23¾ x 11¾ to allow for grout. After putting the tiles in, I actually had some space left over, and filled it with strips of wood to take up the slack. I wound up with a perfect fit. :)

My suggestion would be to measure the inside of your 40 gal. very carefully, then try to find the actual (rather than nominal or advertised) size of the tiles. As long as they're a smidge (it's an industry term) smaller than the inside dimensions of the tank, you should be fine.
Thank you for your response. My local Home Depot didn't even have 18x18 tiles, so I got a case of the 12x12 tiles, and a tile snapper to cut all the tiles to fit :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
97951-666388767.jpg
Here is the piece of tile we used from Home Depot we bought 10 pieces - my husband cut to fit the 120 gallon tank or 4x2x2-- we did not grout the tiles we set them in there and I put thick paper towels underneath so it would catch the urate watery stuff -- simple clean w/ vinegar/ water and if need be pull the paper towel and replace ---- I recommend you do not grout it clean up is better if you pull tile and clean and replace paper towel --
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
KarrieRee":10h7fbzi said:
simple clean w/ vinegar/ water
Does that work to kill the smell? If so, in what proportions? Cider vinegar, wine, white, what?

I've been picking up the solids w/ paper towel, scrubbing removable rocks (he only did it on the tile once), then dousing w/ 91% isopropyl alcohol, but the smell still lingers. The only thing that seems to work on the odor is Natures Miracle for small pets. I spray the rock (or area of tile) liberally after the above procedure and let it dry naturally (or under the floodlight). It works, but I'm always open to better ways.

Does the stink lessen any once they start eating veggies? I'm OK with whatever, but I hadda ask.
TIA

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The ratio for the vinegar/ water is 50/50 or a little more vinegar if you want in a spray bottle -- regular vinegar distilled ---- if his poop really smells bad like the kind to make you leave the room it could be he has parasites --- he should be eating vegies now -- how old is he?
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
He's approx. 7 weeks today. I offer greens/salads every morning but he won't touch them--he'll hold out for lunch or supper. Everything I've read talks about the 80/20 20/80 ratio, but I've yet to see any of them talk about at what age they'll start eating greens. A couple/few owners I've talked to at shows said some won't until 3-4 months(?)

Almost out of dubias, and none available locally. Super worms are too big for him yet. I'm working on a spreadsheet for pricing mail order, but I was able to pick up some meal worms & wax worms locally to mix with the remaining dubias (and buy some time).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hes too young for meal worms --- the exoskeleton is too harsh on their stomachs -- I want you try this -- get a bowl that worms cant get out of make your salad first thing in the morning -- add some waxworms and small super worms if you can find them if not try a medium you can use BSFL as well order them from here https://symtonbsf.com/ they are a good staple feeder and do not need to be dusted -- put them on top of the salad and let him see you do this - so do it in front of him -- the movement will attract him to the bowl--- so w/ that you will have him eating salad and the worms --- use the wax worms sparingly or supers as they are addicting so its only used to lure them to the bowl -- the BSFL you can use as many as you want --- I had only wish I had done this /w my older dragon -- he will not eat vegies at all -- I have tried everything -- I only used this trick from the breeder I got Blaze from and hes 5 months old now -- he is eating his vegies and his worms- after you have let him eat from this bowl for like 30-45 minutes add his staple feeder -- I use dubias as well --- see if that works for you -- I found if you dont start them on vegies when they are a baby you cant really get them to eat when they are older or at least that is what I am finding out --- here is a nutrition website for you http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html---
www.dubiaroaches.com ---https://abdragons.com/login.php---https://www.rainbowmealworms.net/
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom