Baby rankins dragon really sick please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemH82

106609-8032243275.jpg
Sorry for the length but I really need some help please.
My 5 month old rankins dragon stopped earing about 3 weeks ago now and was burying under the substrate. He went to the vet last week and they said impaction (I has already tried baths) and we tried to clear but on Monday he went in for an enema. He seemed a little brighter but still not earing. I've been feeding him with a pipette and he will take a little. Yesterday he refused to eat anything then when he did he was sick. Since then he has not moved from where he went to sleep last night and isnt really opening his eyes. I've called the vet but they aren't really sure but said I could take him this afternoon if I wanted. I do t want to stress him more if they cant help him.
He is in a 4ft wooden viv with repti sun UVB strip bulb. Hos basking temp is 41-43, his hot end is 36 and his cool end is 26. At night he has a ceramic bulb and vet said to keep at 25 while he isnt feeling right.
People say he is too young to brumate, but could he be?
Is there anything I can so to help him and has anyone come across this before, I'm so worried and with vets stumped i don't know what I can do.
I should add he no longer has lose substrate

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
GemH82":gv7l88eh said:
Sorry for the length but I really need some help please.
My 5 month old rankins dragon stopped earing about 3 weeks ago now and was burying under the substrate. He went to the vet last week and they said impaction (I has already tried baths) and we tried to clear but on Monday he went in for an enema. He seemed a little brighter but still not earing. I've been feeding him with a pipette and he will take a little. Yesterday he refused to eat anything then when he did he was sick. Since then he has not moved from where he went to sleep last night and isnt really opening his eyes. I've called the vet but they aren't really sure but said I could take him this afternoon if I wanted. I do t want to stress him more if they cant help him.
He is in a 4ft wooden viv with repti sun UVB strip bulb. Hos basking temp is 41-43, his hot end is 36 and his cool end is 26. At night he has a ceramic bulb and vet said to keep at 25 while he isnt feeling right.
People say he is too young to brumate, but could he be? <<< definitely not old enough to bromate and this is not brumation.

If the vet a REPTILE VET ?

Giving an enema to a even a full grown otherwise healthy dragon is VERY RISK , people have had impacted but otherwise active and apparently healthy dragon die within hours of having an enema administered.

What substrate was your hatchling rankins on ?

How old is the dragon ?

How much does he weigh ?

Can you get a bottle of Oxbow critical care carnivore mix , you'll have to feed him in very small measured portion orally by syringes , if he licks the drops of the liquid food off his lips and snout this will be a good sign , even if time consuming ( he can come good with intensive care and tender loving care from you , lots of small per day to ensure he gets his daily ration of food , and to ensure his kidneys aren't overloaded ).

My water skink Fluffy was rescued in a similarly lethargic and very sick state as your hatching seems to be in ( very limp and near dead ) , and I nursed her back to health using
>> manuka honey (on her injuries and as a sweetener / appetizer at the start of feeding session given orally by syringe ( gentle approach = deposit some on snout and lips )
>> VetaFarm Reptile CrittaCare ( their equiv to OXBOW , comes as a thick slurry) given by syringe with a nozzle on it
>> VetaFarm HerpaBOOST , given once she started getting active and interactive , also a thick slurry.
She's been with us for nearly 4 years now and is in prime condition and one my best pets.

Took a few months to get her rehabilitated enough that she was feeding from a feeding dish and catching her own crickets and mealworms , she still likes the occasional handfeeding session , an excuse to come out of her tub and have some daddy funtime.

Is there anything I can so to help him and has anyone come across this before, I'm so worried and with vets stumped i don't know what I can do.
I should add he no longer has lose substrate

I think it's possible some substrate may still be bunging him up, I'd be asking for xrays to see if there are still any impactions or blockages if he lasts long enough .

I think a second option from a reptile vet in another practice is in order.

Feed a critical care style vet designed liquid food orally by syringe several times per day in small portions.
Keep his tank temperatures up over night (will help boost his metabolism and immune system).

GemH82

Original Poster
Yes, unfortunately they are a reptile vet. We tried lots and unfortunately that was last resort for the enema. Quite a lot shifted with it. He is dehydrated but when I forced yesterday he was sick. He wont take any food at all. He had been taking small amounts often through a dropper but now is refusing. I have reptoboost to add to water for bath and orally.
He is 5 months old and was on tortoise sand stuff recommended by pet shop. He has reptile carpet for now.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
GemH82":184dfibz said:
Yes, unfortunately they are a reptile vet. We tried lots and unfortunately that was last resort for the enema. Quite a lot shifted with it. He is dehydrated but when I forced yesterday he was sick. He wont take any food at all. He had been taking small amounts often through a dropper but now is refusing. I have reptoboost to add to water for bath and orally.
He is 5 months old and was on tortoise sand stuff <<< get rid of the sand , paper towels are a good hospital tank or tub lining
recommended by pet shop.
Another case of poor unsafe advice given by a petshop
He has reptile carpet for now.

Sounds like you may have given too large a volume in one "dose" , he may have aspirated some of the liquid food ( bad news if he has , this can cause pneumonia or a RI ).
This is good guide on maximum volumes of liquids or foods to give to orally :
crop-needle-2.gif

I'd suggest not more than 4ml per 100g reptile body mass per day and no meal more than 1ml / 100g reptile body mass.
more info here viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232687

GemH82

Original Poster
Thank you! He has woken now and just taken about 0.6ml water with reptiboost and just shy of 0.5ml of homemade food. Organic kale, broccoli and pea baby food with calcium, vitamins and crushed wax worms. I found the crickets and locusts impossible to paste!!
Thank you, I really hope with TLC he comes right.
I am annoyed with the pet shop also. They sold me a 3ft viv with coil heat lamp with UVB combined and loose substrate.
I took him straight off it when I read about impaction but it was too late.
How often do you think I should feed and water? I dont want to give him too much water!
He is 63 grams

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree that an enema is really harsh and should be an absolute last resort. Was he losing weight ? BTW, are you positive he's a Rankin's and can you post a picture to show his body size ? If I read correctly and he got sick after the last feeding [ before this one ] then just see how he does with what you gave him, hopefully he keeps it down.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
GemH82":28sq1vme said:
Thank you! He has woken now and just taken about 0.6ml water with reptiboost and just shy of 0.5ml of homemade food. Organic kale, broccoli and pea baby food with calcium, vitamins and crushed wax worms. I found the crickets and locusts impossible to paste!!
Thank you, I really hope with TLC he comes right.
I am annoyed with the pet shop also. They sold me a 3ft viv with coil heat lamp with UVB combined and loose substrate.
I took him straight off it when I read about impaction but it was too late.
How often do you think I should feed and water? I dont want to give him too much water!
He is 63 grams

If he's 63g and perhaps a central , he'll be between 6months and 10months old , at least once per day for a healthy dragon, but he's sick so 3 or 4 smaller meals spread out over the day would be my approach.
How to tell if he's indeed a rankins :
BEARDIES-CROWN-AND-HEAD-SHAPES.gif

maybe subadult.
Sick subadult or juvenile rankins , see above.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
All we need is a full body picture to tell if it's a Rankin's, the chart is not really helpful because many central b.d.'s have heads with a wide variety of shapes.

GemH82

Original Poster
How much water can I give him? I dont want to make things worse by giving you much water. He kept everything down yesterday and this morning he has taken himself to hos basking spot although he still has his eyes tight shut.

I'm pretty sure he is a rankins. I'll weigh him again. I cant seen to be able to attached a picture of him

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
GemH82":n7uq9qkm said:
How much water can I give him? I dont want to make things worse by giving you much water. He kept everything down yesterday and this morning he has taken himself to hos basking spot although he still has his eyes tight shut.

I'm pretty sure he is a rankins. I'll weigh him again. I cant seen to be able to attached a picture of him

Live insects and fresh greens and diced / grated veg will provide all the hydration he needs if he eats them.
You can also add a small shallow water dish to his tank ( he might visit it if he's thirsty ) , dripping water droplets on his snout will help if he's not showing any signs drinking standing water.

GemH82

Original Poster
Hi he wont take anything solid at the moment. He is drinking water with reptiboost off a dropper and taking mashed food with vitamins.
He drank 0.5ml this morning but I dont want to give him too much fluid. I'm not sure how much I can give a day?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good that he kept it down ! You can give him another feeding through the day added to what you gave him yesterday so it would be 3 feedings rather than 2. And unless you live in Australia or the dragon was specifically sold to you as a Rankin's then it's not a Rankin's. They are a specialty dragon, much rarer and cost more than a regular pet store baby and every breeder would know if they sold you a Rankin's. But just put up a couple of good pics of him from a top view , try how Karrie mentioned.

GemH82

Original Poster
His breathing appears laboured now. He is at the hot end but hasn't moved much around today. He again has his eyes shut just now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom