Wellness check? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meenie09

Hey everyone!
Sometimes two pairs of eyes are better than one. Does she look healthy? She hasn't been drinking water for the past two days, I have tried misting her, putting little droplets on her nose, bathing her regularly, (2x a week, where she normally drinks her water). Normally I feed her two times a day with crickets, dubia roaches, bsfl and then I always give her access to freshly cut collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, carrots, apples, occasional banana slice etc. She is acting normal, active, she also has a healthy appetite, she goes to the bathroom every day or occasionally skips a day. Maybe I just worry too much, I love her so much. I should add that I am a new retile owner. Any feedback would be awesome. So what do you think? Is her growth rate within normal range?
P.S this is my little princess Kitana , I've had her since September 2019, she is currently "four months old"

106440-1086549792.jpg

106440-4838507446.jpg

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hiya,

She looks just fine to me! Maybe the slightest bit thin, but certainly nothing to worry about - she looks very similar to my boy in build.

How old is she? Age can effect how much liquid they need each day quite severely, with growing beardies needing a fair amount, healthy adults needing the least, and some OLD beardies who are starting to suffer from health complications sometimes needing more again. If she's older than a year, it's entirely possible she'll go a few months as a time without drinking, assuming her salads are always fresh and her insects are gut-loaded. So, so long as you're bathing her at least once a week and giving her fresh, high-quality foods, you really don't have to worry too much about dehydration in BDs.

On the other hand, chronic low-level dehydrated is epidemic to Bearded Dragons. It's causally linked to a lot of issues, including impaction and organ issues. If you're concerned, try offering her some high-water content foods every couple days. My go-tos for this are little chunks of water melon and hornworms, both of which Guacemole (my dragon) loves!

Hope that helps,
-Ellen

meenie09

Original Poster
Ellentomologist":388gqlgl said:
Hiya,

She looks just fine to me! Maybe the slightest bit thin, but certainly nothing to worry about - she looks very similar to my boy in build.

How old is she? Age can effect how much liquid they need each day quite severely, with growing beardies needing a fair amount, healthy adults needing the least, and some OLD beardies who are starting to suffer from health complications sometimes needing more again. If she's older than a year, it's entirely possible she'll go a few months as a time without drinking, assuming her salads are always fresh and her insects are gut-loaded. So, so long as you're bathing her at least once a week and giving her fresh, high-quality foods, you really don't have to worry too much about dehydration in BDs.

On the other hand, chronic low-level dehydrated is epidemic to Bearded Dragons. It's causally linked to a lot of issues, including impaction and organ issues. If you're concerned, try offering her some high-water content foods every couple days. My go-tos for this are little chunks of water melon and hornworms, both of which Guacemole (my dragon) loves!

Hope that helps,
-Ellen
Hey there! Thank you for the feedback, She is around four months old right now. I'm Hoping she is staying hydrated with the veggies, but I will definitely keep the watermelon and hornworms in mind! I was not aware about some of the information you have shared, thank you again for that!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
She's fine.

Keep your money , no need to take her to a vet if here is not even the slightest indication of a health problem.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Based off your description I agree, she sounds healthy! :)

As long as your husbandry is in order and her diet is good (which it looks like it is) you should be set :)
We can go over your husbandry with you if you'd like, for peace of mind :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom