Oh boy new baby new problems . Won’t eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our little one (Marline) eats all day, at her leisure. Her mom (Lana) makes up a bowl of worms (usually 20-25 worms) about an hour after Marlines lights come on (this gives her time to wake up and warm up). She will eat close to 15 in that early session. After that, Lana will add more worms to the bowl and head to work. By the time she gets home, Marlines lights are about 1/2hr from going out. The bowl will be empty, or close to empty. The darker colored bowl really shows the lighter-colored worms and their movements. Marline can get to them easily, and see them from her basking perch.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Are you feeding any salad? If not I would suggest you start as of now she may not touch it w/ all the worms shes getting --- and what kind of worms are you feeding?

Karrie

I don't mean to take over the O.Ps thread, but to answer your question (in hopes that it may also get her baby eating):

The first feeding of the day will usually consist of a mix of finely-cut Kale (Lana is a chef-in-training) and a covering of different worms (usually a mix of Waxies, Mealies, and Phoenix worms). Marline is NOT big on the greens, and will pretty much only eat it if it sticks to her tongue when she eats the worms. The wax worms will get dusted with Vitamins/calcium as it sticks to them better than to the mealworms. I am hoping to get home soon and start gut-loading the Phoenix worms so she gets more vitamins and better nutrition.

The through-the-day bowl will be just the mix of worms, as greens don't do well under lamps (I don't even like the lettuce on my sandwiches if it's been basking under a heat lamp, waiting on the fries!!).

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your feeding lettuce? If you are please stop--- lettuce has no nutritional value at all ---- greens need to be fed first thing in the morning w / some worms on top to entice her to the bowl--- like 3 supers and BSFL which you can feed as many as you want as they are a staple feeder---- let her eat from that bowl for like 30 minutes or so then you can add your staple feeder like dubias dusted w/ the calcium D3 -- I use a bowl that the worms cant get out of roaches too --- here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Karrie

Kale is NOT lettuce. Kale is high in iron and vitamin D/K.

I eat Kale, along with Spinach (and a calcium supplement) for my lifting routine as they both benefit protein absorption, mineral transfer, and aid in digestion through roughage. Lettuce is only good for water absorption/ingestion and for the slight bit of roughage it provides. I don't even eat it (unless mixed with other heavy, dark greens) in salads.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok sorry it sounded like you were feeding lettuce- kale is good
Karrie

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So today my baby ate greens, more than usual so I’m surprised. She won’t touch her bowl but when I hand feed it to her she will let me . Throughout the day I would open her tank and try hand feeding her bugs and greens. She passed on all bugs but would eat the greens. Strange she rather eat the greens instead of the worms and roaches.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well that's good news that she's eating! Babies need their salads too! :D

-Brandon

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lol I guess, it has put me at ease a bit. However she’s not eating her bugs now. I’m trying different bugs and she prefers her greens lol. From all I have read online I would think it would be harder to make her eat greens instead of bugs. They say online babies need to eat a lot more bugs, I’m just gonna assume she’s just getting use to her new home I’m hopes she eats a lot of bugs. I rather stress over money than her not eating what she’s suppose to lol.

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Much better she’s not eating where she’s suppose to but she is shedding and trying to scratch herself. At least she’s eating . She’s not a huge fan of bath time , but thank you so much for asking ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Tasnene":17n10p9u said:
Lol I guess, it has put me at ease a bit. However she’s not eating her bugs now. I’m trying different bugs and she prefers her greens lol. From all I have read online I would think it would be harder to make her eat greens instead of bugs. They say online babies need to eat a lot more bugs, I’m just gonna assume she’s just getting use to her new home I’m hopes she eats a lot of bugs. I rather stress over money than her not eating what she’s suppose to lol.

This is correct , under say 6 months old, the diet for a very young , rapidly growing developing dragon should be nearly entirely live insects ie

blowfly maggot (very rich in calcium)
black soldier fly lavae ( very rich in calcium)
silkworms ( very rich in calcium , very rich in enzymes )
crickets ( must be gutloaded with fresh high calcium , high protein greens , and dusted)
roaches ( must be gutloaded with fresh high calcium , high protein greens , and dusted)
locusts ( must be gutloaded with fresh high calcium , high protein greens , and dusted)

Offer fresh salad daily AFTER the dragon has had at least one good feed of live insects , if the young dragon picks at the salad , consider it a bonus .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Tasnene":k4xvxvxn said:
Is there anything I can do besides give her baths to help with her shedding ?

I only bath my dragons when in shed if there is some stubborn shed on their tail or the fingers / toes or their hands/feet.
Dragons are perfectly capable of getting the shed off of their own accord without bathing in 99% of cases and without needing immersion in water.

My Caesar is currently in shed and a bit grumpy , only eating under sufferance the last week or so. Even time I get him out I get covered in bits of old skin .

Tasnene

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay that’s good to know.
She’s just basking and picking at food. And I see her rubber her face on her basking area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom