Color/stripes/pattern inheritance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkoshi

HI, got these dragons here Gary and chromie.. both are under a year, got Gary as a baby in may and Chromie hatched in April. Gonna breed them eventually when they are older and was wondering if the babies would inherit Chromies bright yellow saturation and have almost no stripes just yellow. Or be like Gary and have vibrant stripes on land pattern legs and back which Chromie lacks. She instead has just yellow vertical bars on back and very minimal pattern.. what youz thinks¿

104566-1986645446.jpg
full

104566-2821001895.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, the babies will most likely be a duller color with very little pattern but there are always exceptions. I do want to mention that raising babies is absurdly expensive and time consuming, and your female will produce more than one clutch so you could have new babies hatching 3-4 weeks after your initial clutch. You'd need lots of plastic bins to house them in groups, lots of separate lighting fixtures and mostly you'll need to order tiny crickets by the 1,000's every week. Then because the market is totally flooded with beardies it will be hard to sell them.

It really takes a LOT of money + time to raise them and stressful to find potential buyers/adopters who would really care for them. I would really urge you to reconsider this venture.

Darkoshi

Original Poster
Ya I hear a lot of stuff like that here and its meh we shall see and sort out have friend can help.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Take it from two people who actually have bred (me and AHBD) it is expensive and you will be hard pressed to break even usually. The amount of feeders 2 dozen growing babies need to grow and reach at least 6 weeks of age is enormous. You will spend a fortune on feeders, not to mention the logistics of buying that many bugs per week. And you most likely will have to raise them much older while you try to find buyers. Unless you already have a following and known genetic outcomes that produce desired traits. It definitely isnt Meh. Remember, you are going to have tons of little lives in your hands that are your responsibility. Dont let those little souls down.

That being said, I try not to be so discouraging about breeding. It's a wonderful experience. But, anyone doing it should know the realities before trying. And that's all me and AHBD are trying to say :)
As long as you know the realities, have the space, time, and money to potentially raise dozens of dragons for months, then good luck to you; it is a fun experience for those of us crazy enough to try lol. :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom