One year old going nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

Nelson recently turned one and I put some substrate repti sand in his viv. He soon took to it and made himself a little hide. A few days later, he won't stop glass surfing and running round his viv trying to get out.

When I get him out he seems to calm down but still explores around the house and tries to surf the wall/door.

He doesn't show other signs of stress, his lighting and temps are good and he has a big viv.

As for eating, he doesn't each many bugs in one sitting and picks at salad every now and then.

Is this just a thing they do from time to time or should I do something? Remove the sand perhaps?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Remove the sand asap. Do not use ANY particle substrates for beardies if at all possible. The sand is probably irrating him too, especially since it's reptisand, those are the worst I'm afraid.

It's also just pretty natural for 1 year olds to go a bit insane for a month or two after turning 1. My dragon Rocket went a bit insane and hyperactive for about 2 months after he turned 1, and he's starting to calm down a bit, but he still acts crazy sometimes but not 24/7 like it usually was.

Another possible factor is his tank is too small or his temps are too high/low. What size is his tank and what lights do you use? What are the temps and what do you take the temps with?

But seriously, remove all of the sand asap and don't use particle substrates. They do much more harm than good.

NelsonBernard

Original Poster
Hi, thanks.

Its not the reptisand brand but still a replica desert sand, its the red type with bits if rock in etc.

The temp in the warm end is set to 38°C and I've got a probe thermometer and a laser thermometer. Laser registers 36° in the cool end and 44°c under the CHE. Lights are a 12% arcadia uvb light. He has a basking bulb too but also a CHE.

I have wondered if the sand is too hot for him with it storing heat from the CHE.

The tank is approx. 4ft long x 3ft high x 2ft wide

HippieLizards":34zow5pi said:
Remove the sand asap. Do not use ANY particle substrates for beardies if at all possible. The sand is probably irrating him too, especially since it's reptisand, those are the worst I'm afraid.

It's also just pretty natural for 1 year olds to go a bit insane for a month or two after turning 1. My dragon Rocket went a bit insane and hyperactive for about 2 months after he turned 1, and he's starting to calm down a bit, but he still acts crazy sometimes but not 24/7 like it usually was.

Another possible factor is his tank is too small or his temps are too high/low. What size is his tank and what lights do you use? What are the temps and what do you take the temps with?

But seriously, remove all of the sand asap and don't use particle substrates. They do much more harm than good.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is he still acting crazy? Did you get rid of the substrate? Have you cked temps in tank ? UVB? Any other dragons around that he can see?? Beard turning black?
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NelsonBernard":39v4570e said:
Hi, thanks.

Its not the reptisand brand but still a replica desert sand, its the red type with bits if rock in etc.

<<< unless you live in Australia and know someone who lives "in the Outback" who can get some buckets of the dirt , the sand you have been sold is faked desert sand, more likely it's beach sand with some iron oxide or even some red dye blended through it, if you are lucky it'll be screened "playsand" with iron oxide.
I'm not a fan of sand for bearded dragons. The risks of the stuff outweigh any dubious benefits.

The temp in the warm end is set to 38°C and I've got a probe thermometer and a laser thermometer. Laser registers 36° in the cool end and 44°c
<<< 44 degC is WAY TOO HOT if it's accessible to the dragon. Max 40 degC to be safe.

Refer to this
dragon-behaviours3.png

and this
temperature-response-of-p.png

What you describe is frantic dragon trying to escape excessively high temperature..

under the CHE. Lights are a 12% arcadia uvb light. He has a basking bulb too but also a CHE.

I have wondered if the sand is too hot for him with it storing heat from the CHE.

The tank is approx. 4ft long x 3ft high x 2ft wide

HippieLizards":39v4570e said:

<<< my boy Caesar is 10 Moons old ( I measure in lunar months for my lizards ) , and he's discovered there is a big house to explore in the last week , can't get off me fast enough to go down onto the floor and explore , and refuses to be picked up until he is ready (or too tired).
Add that he's got the grumps lately as he's in middle of shedding , so yep I've a nutty juvenile male(yearling) dragon too.
Cleo is just Cleo, unflappable , and lives for snuggles , even when she was in shed two weeks ago, she's now discovered again that she's got a stomache to fill and is working hard on catching to Caesar in the growth stakes now ( in the midst of growth spurt since her shed was finished ).

Never a dull moment in this house with Caesar , and my nutty young lady water skink Gutzy and my goofy juvenile male water skink Cheakie. That pair set each off even though they can't see each other are very amusing to watch , and have become very entertaining ( and only settle if I tap on their tubs' side and speak to them.
Little attention seekers , working on training the human who cares for them.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys,

Those are great visuals--thanks for posting. I'll copy & convert to F.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NelsonBernard,

I was wondering about enclosure size too, but I see from above that 4x2x3 seems adequate.
Maybe it is something they go through (and I have something else to look forward to... :roll: )

NelsonBernard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":s2445fwk said:
Is he still acting crazy? Did you get rid of the substrate? Have you cked temps in tank ? UVB? Any other dragons around that he can see?? Beard turning black?
Karrie

I did take the sand out. He seemed to settle a bit but still likes to climb up the wall/window.

I changed the CHE to 37 degrees C and the laser thermometer read 41 under the che, 27 in the cool end.

The newest worry is that he has lost 30g in a month (including a poo as big as his body). He hardly eats but apart from this and the glass surfing he seems to be totally fine.

His beard goes gray occasionally, never black.

Its also been a while since he shed.

NelsonBernard

Original Poster
He's still glass surfing and wanting out despite the lower temp and no sand.

Im wondering if he can see his reflection easier now hes bigger. Would this result in him behaving this way?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
It might, but there are other possibilities. Mine glass surfs around meal time; afterward, he basks it off.

If it is a reflection reaction, it might also be accompanied by other stress indicators--bearding, bobbing, stress spots... Here are some POVs on possible reasons & solutions:
bearded dragon glass surfing

One possible remedy is to put some light-colored, busy-patterned wrapping paper on the outside of the glass (facing in); this should break up the reflection/make it more difficult for him to see it. If the glass is only in the front of the enclosure, you can still try this; the paper doesn't need to cover the entire glass--just high enough that he can't see his reflection.

Right now I'm more concerned about the weight loss; it's possible--depending on the reason for it--that the surfing is related.

NelsonBernard

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":uslpgzer said:
It might, but there are other possibilities. Mine glass surfs around meal time; afterward, he basks it off.

If it is a reflection reaction, it might also be accompanied by other stress indicators--bearding, bobbing, stress spots... Here are some POVs on possible reasons & solutions:
bearded dragon glass surfing

One possible remedy is to put some light-colored, busy-patterned wrapping paper on the outside of the glass (facing in); this should break up the reflection/make it more difficult for him to see it. If the glass is only in the front of the enclosure, you can still try this; the paper doesn't need to cover the entire glass--just high enough that he can't see his reflection.

Right now I'm more concerned about the weight loss; it's possible--depending on the reason for it--that the surfing is related.

I have him booked in for a health check at the vets on friday. I hope he's okay.

Apart from the weight loss and the glass surfing, hes the most alert and active he's ever been. Doesn't mind being handled at all, falls asleep on me etc etc. He just wont eat his locusts :(

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
NelsonBernard":1e1m4dfq said:
I have him booked in for a health check at the vets on friday. I hope he's okay.
We all do!

Apart from the weight loss and the glass surfing, hes the most alert and active he's ever been. Doesn't mind being handled at all, falls asleep on me etc etc. He just wont eat his locusts :(
Good to hear except that last part. Have you tried any other feeders?
nutritional information feeder insects

NelsonBernard

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":31g045uu said:
NelsonBernard":31g045uu said:
We all do!

Good to hear except that last part. Have you tried any other feeders?
nutritional information feeder insects

I moved him on to locusts full time when he stopped chasing/eating crickets. He has the occasional servings of waxworms. He had one fruit beetle grub and refused more and he did the same with roaches. He usually eats his salad but again, probably not enough. Maybe ill try him on crickets again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom