Bearded dragons back swollen

Status
Not open for further replies.

EyanSkims

Hello everyone! New here, my bearded dragon ever since I got him at a young age has had a his back where the tail meets extremely swollen. I’ve taken him to the vet twice in the last 6 months and all they said was give him doses of liquid calcium and hope the swelling would go down if the bone was fractured. Well it hasn’t gone down since I’ve gotten him and I just came back from a trip to have a tiny hole that goes about 3cm deep into the bump that was bleeding. The bump is constantly shedding aswell. I just don’t know what could be causing the swelling at this point :(
106588-1150439624.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there ! Is it possible for you to find a new reptile vet with good reviews ? It's pretty obvious that's not a fracture or lump that would be caused by MBD but looks like some type of growth or abscess. Did you say the vet put a hole in it . if so did they take a sample of tissue or anything ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
EyanSkims":2oyuhhga said:
Hello everyone! New here, my bearded dragon ever since I got him at a young age has had a his back where the tail meets extremely swollen. I’ve taken him to the vet twice in the last 6 months and all they said was give him doses of liquid calcium and hope the swelling would go down if the bone was fractured.

Did these vets even bother to take xrays , how did they diagnose MBD or a broken bones in the hips/ pelvis ?
Or were they guessing and did no more than just look at your dragon.
A these vets even REPTILE VETS ?

Well it hasn’t gone down since I’ve gotten him and I just came back from a trip to have a tiny hole that goes about 3cm deep into the bump that was bleeding.
Was this from a biopsy or did the fissure happen due to the deteriorating state of the dragon ( rupture in the "abscess" or it burst ?
Is the liquid coming out yellowish with tinges of red excudate or blood or red / brown pus ?

The bump is constantly shedding aswell. I just don’t know what could be causing the swelling at this point :(
106588-1150439624.jpg

EyanSkims

Original Poster
AHBD":20ygi9l9 said:
Hi there ! Is it possible for you to find a new reptile vet with good reviews ? It's pretty obvious that's not a fracture or lump that would be caused by MBD but looks like some type of growth or abscess. Did you say the vet put a hole in it . if so did they take a sample of tissue or anything ?
Sadly the one I go to is the "best reptile vet" in my area. The hole I just noticed today. Its been about 2 months since ive been to the vet again because I dont want to pay 50$ to be handed liquid calcium.

EyanSkims

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":29dy4bkv said:
EyanSkims":29dy4bkv said:
Hello everyone! New here, my bearded dragon ever since I got him at a young age has had a his back where the tail meets extremely swollen. I’ve taken him to the vet twice in the last 6 months and all they said was give him doses of liquid calcium and hope the swelling would go down if the bone was fractured.

Did these vets even bother to take xrays , how did they diagnose MBD or a broken bones in the hips/ pelvis ?
Or were they guessing and did no more than just look at your dragon.
A these vets even REPTILE VETS ?

Yes these are reptile vets. Ive never heard them mention they have taken xrays. He proclaimed it could possibly be just a fracture that happened when he was younger.

Well it hasn’t gone down since I’ve gotten him and I just came back from a trip to have a tiny hole that goes about 3cm deep into the bump that was bleeding.
Was this from a biopsy or did the fissure happen due to the deteriorating state of the dragon ( rupture in the "abscess" or it burst ?
I think its from the fact its been swollen for so long. I Havent visited the vet in months since my last visit.
Is the liquid coming out yellowish with tinges of red excudate or blood or red / brown pus ?

I sadly was away when this had to have happened. My roomates were feeding them while i was away for 3 days. But prior to me leaving that wasnt there. So as of right now its just a red hole. Dont see any blood or discharge from it.
The bump is constantly shedding aswell. I just don’t know what could be causing the swelling at this point :(
106588-1150439624.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I completely agree, that is definitely not metabolic bone disease but an abscess of some
type. What needs to be done is a culture needs to be taken of the liquid that comes from
the abscess so that they can try to determine what type of infection it is.
What you can do now, is get some raw, unpasteurized honey to put on that area. However,
I think that he is probably going to have to have it removed.
Abscesses, if left untreated, they penetrate multiple layers of skin, becoming compartmentalized
& large amounts of tissue will have to be removed.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

EyanSkims

Original Poster
Drache613":2tzuo5g3 said:
Hello,

I completely agree, that is definitely not metabolic bone disease but an abscess of some
type. What needs to be done is a culture needs to be taken of the liquid that comes from
the abscess so that they can try to determine what type of infection it is.
What you can do now, is get some raw, unpasteurized honey to put on that area. However,
I think that he is probably going to have to have it removed.
Abscesses, if left untreated, they penetrate multiple layers of skin, becoming compartmentalized
& large amounts of tissue will have to be removed.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
So sadly today I went and the vet found it was a tumor and he says the chances of being able to fully remove it would be slim :( He is sending a sample off to get tested but the vet sad i might have to put him down

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I hate to hear that, I am so sorry. When will the lab test results be back for you?
Did he give any type of medications, or creams/ointment to put on it?
I think though, maybe you could try to get a 2nd opinion? If it were to be a cancerous tumor,
since he is young, he would have a chance to pull through. You could try to see if you could
give him that chance if it hasn't spread & is just localized.
Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

EyanSkims

Original Poster
Drache613":2v2b5mg4 said:
Hello,

Oh no, I hate to hear that, I am so sorry. When will the lab test results be back for you?
Did he give any type of medications, or creams/ointment to put on it?
I think though, maybe you could try to get a 2nd opinion? If it were to be a cancerous tumor,
since he is young, he would have a chance to pull through. You could try to see if you could
give him that chance if it hasn't spread & is just localized.
Please let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Yes! I was given medicine to give him every three days! I should have an idea what it is by this week since they just sent out a sample of it! Im gonna try explore all options, The fact hes had it for 6 months at this point I dont think it has spread! gonna fight it till he absolutly cant go on! Thank you for the help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome. I definitely think he deserves a chance. You might be able to find a vet
who is qualified & would be willing to go over other options with you. If it has not spread,
then that is a much better scenario!
Which medication did he give to you for him?
Keep us posted on him. I hope that things turn out well on the tests, let us know.

Tracie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Poor guy! I really hope that he can make it through this!
Sending good thoughts your way!

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom