Chlorhexidine 2% cleaning ratios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not 100% on what the standard ratio is for diluting chlorhexidine 2% when using it as a daily cleaner and i'm hoping you all can finally clear it up for me. I'm planning on putting it in a 400ml spray bottle to spot clean my beardies poop/mess everyday and i've heard to dilute it 1oz to a gallon of water but that seems very weak to me. Ive also heard 1/2 cup to a gallon of water. Is there a definitive answer to this or a standard that reptile owners follow? Thanks all!

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hello,

All of the sources I'm finding are saying 1-2oz per gallon, though you want to make sure to use distilled water. What specific product are you using? I might be able to give you more specific recommendations based on that.

That said, I've worked with chlorhexidine quite a lot and it's pretty gentle as far as such things go. It's even used with birds, which are even more sensitive than BDs to toxicities of this type (at least that's what I've been told). Still, you're probably going a little overkill using it as a daily cleaner.

Best,
-Ellen

goldenboy2421

Original Poster
Hi Ellen,

Thank for you response. I'm thinking of buying the Durvet Chlorehexidine 2% solution. What do you recommend as an effective daily cleaner? If that's overkill do you think just a vinegar water solution would do the trick? Or ZooMeds WipeOut? i just want something that i could quickly spray down the area and wipe clean as quickly and effectively as possible.

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Hello again,

The Durvet Solution, I believe, is a 1oz per gallon solution - instructions can probably be found on the back of the bottle. I actually don't use a daily cleaner anymore because my aimals are either paper-trained or in bio-active setups... That said I used to just use hot water and a towel, a vinegar water mix, or ZooMed's WipeOut and had great luck with all three!

Hope that helps,
-Ellen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom