A Little Bit of Blood In Poop? Other Posts No Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

First, for a tank set up, please see my original post here.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=251767

Since getting him and feeding him, Drogon has grown a little bit with a larger and wider head/fat pads. He's also been very active and alert, especially when he's out of the tank.

Today, when I was cleaning his tank, I noticed a rather big blob of poo and some liquidy urates, no worries. when I wiped it off, I inspected it for any issues and thank god I did! There was a tiny bit of mucus and blood inside. So far, Drogon's been eating:

1) About 20-25 crickets a day
2) Occasional lettuce (we are still working on getting him interested in greens: dandelion, kale, mixed power greens from organicgirl) I left out small chunks of apple (peeled, cut small) and blueberries with no interest.

2) About 2-3 BSFL a day
3) Just got him interested in mealworms. He had 2 yesterday and 2 today for a little more variety.

Other than this, he acts completely normal and is super social and curious! Right now, he's taking a nap under the heat lamp after his big lunch.

Any ideas what caused this? Sorry, I wish I had a picture :/ it definitely wasn't as bad as the other pics I saw in this forum.

Selkie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
HI Selkie,

It most likely isn't blood, just discoloration.

What do you feed your crickets?

-Brandon

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
OH WOW!

When you said that, something just occurred...

I feed the crickets lots of greens, apple pieces and some juvenile bearded dragon pellets along with Fluker's cricket meal for a well-rounded bite! They also get their eating area sprayed with water at least 3 times a day for hydration...

Do you think it was a cricket who ate a lot of apple or pellets? Also, are mealworms as dangerous as people make them out to be?!

Selkie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was asking because some of the cricket food (mainly the orange cubes) tend to make a red/orange tint to the urates of our dragons.

How often does he poo normally? I wouldn't really be concerned with it as it's most likely not blood. But just in case, get us a picture next time :)

Selkie1993":qku4wy3l said:
Also, are mealworms as dangerous as people make them out to be?!

I actually just responded to this on your other thread right before you posted :)

-Brandon

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Hi Brandon!

He poops about once a day, either in the middle of the night or when I'm done with class and come home for lunch. And since he's eaten more, his poops are quite big, but that's obvious info :lol:

And thank you for the info on mealworms. I had a feeling they weren't dangerous if given in moderation. People I've seen on the forum are like NEVER feed a juvenile (he's about 10 inches snout to tail) mealworms, but I believe in this growing stage they need as much variation as possible!

For mealworms and BSFL, I've just been leaving some big chunks of apple and a bit of beardie pellets :)

I'll keep an eye on his poo and if it looks weird, I'll send you a pic :lol: :lol:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your dragon looks very good & your setup is fine. Are you staying with sand for now or are you
switching to the playsand?
Definitely feeding crickets any type of pellets or calcium & or colored cubes many times results
in odd discolorations in their stools. Mealworms are not all that bad, no. I feel a good variety is
best & everything in moderation.

Tracie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drache613":1afa7kah said:
Hello,

Your dragon looks very good & your setup is fine. Are you staying with sand for now or are you
switching to the playsand?
Definitely feeding crickets any type of pellets or calcium & or colored cubes many times results
in odd discolorations in their stools. Mealworms are not all that bad, no. I feel a good variety is
best & everything in moderation.

Tracie

Hey Tracie!
I've had no problems with sand so far, and I feed my dragon in a separate tank to prevent impaction. And thanks for the heads up :) Drogon sure loves his worms!

Selkie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's terrific you haven't had any trouble with the sand & impaction. Feeding him in a
separate tank definitely helps that issue out. Great Drogon likes his worms so much!
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom